Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Tax Time...arrgghhhh...

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bammbamm 
#1 ·
I got my W2 (yearly earning/tax statement for those outside the US) and I promptly filed my return. Got a nice check in the mail within 15 days. That was in the middle of January. I have since contracted construction/remodeling contractors to do some work on the house, and bought myself a new guitar and my son a drum set. (Can you see where this is heading?)

Fast forward to February 27, and what did I get in the mail? A CORRECTED W2! It seems that my company's payroll and the Prudential relocation service (they paid to have me relocated for the new role in a new location) didn't communicate correct information and now I OWE the IRS about 8k.

Luckily I still have the cash in my account, but this is going to cost me some money.

Tax time...arrrgghhhhhh!

#2 ·
Ouch! Rest easy though. You've got plenty company. The wife and I were planning on putting new tile and fixtures in our bathroom with this year's refund.

Rewind to New Year's Eve. Our 16 year old daughter was driving home at around 8 PM on an unfamiliar street and missed a stop sign. She was t-boned by an oncoming SUV and the '88 Plymouth K-car her grandmom had given her was totalled. Thank God, no one was seriously injured. Her court date is scheduled for this afternoon. Luckily, our insurance company has a 1st accident forgiveness policy. They give young, inexperienced drivers a so-called freebie and don't raise your rate on the 1st accident or traffic citation.

The refund however, is now earmarked to buy a reliable used car. I'll be getting an excellent deal on the car though. A business acquaintance is a used car dealer and has already promised to find a nice one at the weekly auction he attends. Looks like the bathroom will be frumpy for a little while longer...

#12 ·
That's good news Kenny, and more good news.

The change actually affected a +$50 change in state taxes, +$151 in city taxes and - the Prudential Relocation Service is paying the $139 fee for refiling.

Certinaly not 8k, but good nonetheless.

More good news is that the wife can't make me bring the guitar back because it is in the tech's hands being setup and modded...too late to return it. :lol:

#15 ·
megadeth said:
1) I am moving to Florida. I finally managed to embrace employment.
2) IT'S because of house of guitars and other stores that I have to pay my huge piling bills. Gear whoring can be injurious to credit history. :lol:
I myself will be unemployed by the beginning of May and I'm looking forward to it ;). I'll be out of this hell hole here in Giessen. Since I'm going to hand in my Ph. D. in a few weeks. I'm strongly thinking about buying a new guitar as a present for myself :).

Regards

André

#17 ·
SUSTAINIAC said:
You guys in the US should quit winging. Your taxes are lower than here in the uk, your gear is cheaper, your cars are cheaper, your fuel is cheaper, need I go on. Just jealous really.

Regards from the UK
Very True - UK is far too expensive.

I've got my £500 mileage tax relief already ear-marked for that Suhr.

It's a good job I'm moving house in a couple of weeks, beacuse if I wasn't paying off a few debts at the same time I'd be using my tax rebate for credit cards like you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.