Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Sony Music CDs w/ DRM infects your PC w/ spyware/malware! (G3 Live in Tokyo)

22K views 80 replies 30 participants last post by  trueblood 
#1 · (Edited)
Sony artists need to put their foot down against "big brother" who has them under contract. Since the RIAA does not care about customers, the time has come for ARTISTS to make noise, protest and go public against this nonsense for the sake of the fans (who are getting PENALIZED for making purchases!).

I don't ever want to hear once more about ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS from artists, the RIAA, their agents, publicists, lawyers or whomever. This crosses a line to which there is no return. If Hollywood didn't OWN our politicians this would be long ago have been illegal and a highly prosecutable offense like spam.

Link to article about Sony CD Sypware/Malware infecting your PC

The entire experience was frustrating and irritating. Not only had Sony put software on my system that uses techniques commonly used by malware to mask its presence, the software is poorly written and provides no means for uninstall. Worse, most users that stumble across the cloaked files with a RKR scan will cripple their computer if they attempt the obvious step of deleting the cloaked files.

While I believe in the media industry's right to use copy protection mechanisms to prevent illegal copying, I don't think that we've found the right balance of fair use and copy protection, yet. This is a clear case of Sony taking DRM too far
-----------------------------
Edit - update

Infected Title List (includes G3 Live in Tokyo buyer alert)
http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html
G3 - Live In Tokyo. E2K97685. 827969768525
* DO NOT PLAY THESE CDS IN YOUR PC *

Sony has reluctantly issued a PRODUCT RECALL...
http://news.com.com/Sony+recalls+risky+rootkit+CDs/2100-7349_3-5954154.html?tag=nefd.top

See less See more
#78 · (Edited)
"No theft, no problem."

If you knew anything about the law you would know that there is such a thing a fair use. Look it up.

My Billy Joel 52nd Street album had it. I had to delete the hard drive to get rid of it. Is it now illegal to rip a CD into Real Player or Itunes?
This world is screwed up. I just bought a house that I will never own. Even after it is paid off and I "own" it, I will have to pay property tax on it until I die. Yeah, those "Buddhist" corporate executives pitch that line that it is all just material and that money grows on trees until it is their material and money. This is just a fight between the rich and the poor. We will lose.

BTW. I consider myself Buddhist and that was not meant as a slight to anyone who is devout.

#80 ·
It's not new. A Sony CD destroyed my computer years ago before any of us knew what the heck was happening. It prevents you from connecting any drives or transferring any files from your computer. Nasty virus, and they should have gotten in much more trouble for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.