Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Joe Stump Vs Yngwie malmsteen

47K views 149 replies 50 participants last post by  Captain Barnacle 
#1 ·
Two non ibanez players so it wouldn't be one sided. I like stump although I think IMO copied malmsteen a bit. I like Stump's tone better ;)

#104 ·
Ferrous Lepidoptera said:
(Ignoring previous thousand posts)

I picked Stump for this reason: I have bothered to learn some Joe Stump stuff riffs (Sorceror's Apprentice) but have never bothered to attempt to learn Malmsteen's stuff. I don't particularly like either one's tone. I wish Joe Stump would ditch the strat and get a guitar with a tone that I like, and more fitting to his music -- e.g. more aggressive humbucker in the bridge slot would be a good start. (But that's just me.)

I found Stump's stuff to be more musical and more customized, while Malmsteen's struck me as being more like a concert violinist playing from sheet music -- very technically adept but too true to the old masters to be considered as being all that original. Well, too Bach-y maybe. "Too Bach-y" Heh. What I wouldn't give for a touch of Bach's talent, eh?

I suppose for me it boils down to Joe's music (what I've heard) being a bit more musically enjoyable experience overall than what I get from Malmsteen. I think Stump is the better composer, is probably what it boils down to, and in this, my opinion may be unduly influenced by that riff from Sorceror's Apprentice, which I liked enough to bother learning.

Edit: I saw a DVD of Joe Stump doing a guitar clinic sort of thing. Every other word was, "cool," and in this very pronounced New Jersey metalhead hipster (I guess) accent. It was kind of hilarious.
Well, New York City, but yeah he like Cool!!!!!

I'm not a strat fan either. He should get an Ibanez RG!!!!!!!!!!

#105 ·
Epicus Furor said:
'when most people who say he copies Yngwie don't know any facts'

Oh dear, I have a feeling your not going to get on with many people in this community. I think the votes count for themselves so we'll just leave it at that ...
Well, how many "Best Guitarist" polls does Jimi Hendrix top?

And is he the best or even in the top 1,000?

I don't think so.

#116 ·
I like both, I havent heard alot of Stumps songs. But watched him on youtube. I loove black star, and the solo for Deja Vu by Malmsteen. If I were to say Stump is a copy I would only say that for his guitar and guitar Setup. If Stump became more famous then Yngie and got his guitar a signature everbody would say Ynwie's a copy. But just because Ynwie is famous doesnt mean he claims the single coil strat type guitar with the vintage white. I dont like Malmsteen regularly cause he uses alot of the same riffs and that high C# bend in like every song.

#119 ·
Thank you rivera213 for noticing Elias Viljanen \m/
Laiho isn't the only GuitarStar here! :)

I've been listening his two albums now all the time. He's like a mix of Satriani and Vai. Some would say not that original player but heyy, who gives a rats ass, wonderful music!

and ontopic

I've always been a Yngwie-fan so of course i voted for him :), but have been listening a lot stump too nowadays. Great great artist, shame that many judges Yngwies music and guitar playing by listening only the latest albums :(.

E: whoops, pretty old topic

#122 ·
I could care less if people think one guitarist is better than the other, I've heard both guys play and they are both pretty accomplished in my opinion. One thing I do know is that Joe is a pretty nice guy, I emailed him about a lick he plays on his Chopbuilder DVD that there is no tab for. The next day he emailed me back with the lick fully tabbed out.

#128 ·
Joe Stump is great, and I have a number of his albums, but just as Steve Vai is the Genius and Master of the Space-aged guitar, so Yngwie J. Malmsteen is the Maestro and Virtuoso of the Neo-classical Rock guitar.

As for those who say "got bored with Malmsteen", let's be honest, you may get bored with incessant, harmonic minor scales and shred arpeggios, but hey, I get bored with incessant sustainer harmonics, whammy bar abuse and two handed tapping licks. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like Vai, a lot, and think he is an absolute genius at what he does; in fact "Passion...." was my first rock album! But I LOVE Malmsteen ("Trial by Fire" was my second, and "Back for the Attack" - Dokken, my 3rd!),.....and hey, if Mr. Vai rates Yngwie, then who are we to criticise?!

#129 ·
THis should have really been a Chris Impelliteri VS. JOE STUMP thread battle of the YNGWIE CLONES lol.. Yngwie has my vote. even though his weight is catching up to how big his ego is. I still think his tone is cleaner. his shredding is cleaner also. even though Yngwie basically has the same progression to his solos. They dont seem to be as redundant as Joe's soloing. sometimes Joe gets caught up doing the Yngwie fast runs that it comes across as just Cramming notes. At least Yngwie can weave in and out making it look effortless. His vibrato is also wicked..

#130 ·
Totally agree, dgabriel713. In Joe Stump's defence though, at least he acknowledges his "Yngwie nut" roots, whereas Chris Impellitteri goes out of his way to distance himself from, "the other guitar players" using harmonic minor, lightning quick, pedal-punctuated mayhem! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.