Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Fretboard Choice

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  CrossingStar 
#1 ·
What's your favorite material between maple and rosewood and why?

#8 · (Edited)
MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE!!!!! Mmmm....baby smooth (suddenly something comes to mind8O)

For this reason, my BFP get's played and FP's sit.

I just love the feel of the maple board so much better. I also prefer Ebony over Rosewood. It's baby smooth too (I gotta stop that)

Ebony is like dark maple:)

My vwh is ebony and my vsbl is Rosewood. Other than that (and the paint job) they are the same guitar. The ebony has a ~brighter~ tone than the rosewood (IMHO)

MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE!!!!! :)

#15 ·
As far a sound goes I honestly cannot tell the difference between the woods in a distorted guitar setting. Clean I can barely tell the difference of a one piece maple neck (think old school fender 7.25 radius boards) vs other two piece (or more) types.

That leaves feel and aesthetics. I do prefer the feel of ebony and maple, and I love the looks of both. Maple is a PITA to keep looking great after extended play unless you have a full gloss/satin coat on it - so from that perspective I usually go for ebony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.