Ibanez JEM Forum banner
7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  red5 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm currently looking to buy an RG. The guy claims it is an RGR 570 P 2, has wizard 2 neck 3 piece mahony, 1993, made in Japan, price about 550$, has a little fixed dent and an scratch on the side near the straplocks. Front and back should be perfect he says.

Could anyone confirm this model, because I can't find a thing about this model. Think the price is fair (every non european guitar is more expensive in europe compared to us). I've always digged and wanted reverse headstocks, same for white outline and especially with sharktooths. My RG570 and JS1000 have dots, normal headstock and no outline, so this is a variant that really would fit in ;)

Thx 4 your advice. Here are some picks of the guitar. I've asked for some extra detailed ones.

See less See more
#5 ·
I really would like a reverse, outlined, sharktooth neck, so thx for the link phantoms.

That RGR570 IPT is untill now the closest match indeed. What does "Iron Pewter" stand for ?

The neck sure is nog mahogany of course, that's simply rosewood. Maple necks are nice as well, but i'm a bit afraid of them because often wood that is too young is used, resulting is this kind of horror :
http://www.zwiergitaarbouw.nl/ibaneck.jpg
So I will never order a maple neck guitar blindly. I prefer to have any guitar I would want to buy in my hands first.

The new RG series, for example the RTG42DX which is the closest match to this used RGR available from the catalogue, has a Mahogany body. Earlier most 90ies models have mostly a basswood body, or am I wrong ?

#8 ·
Well, I don't where he got "93" from. Things that make me wonder if it's actually made in 93:

1. I thought I never saw the imprint "RG Series" on the head stock that early in the 90ies. I only started tot see that on Ibanezes since the late 90ies.
2. Same for the shape of the body where the neck is bolted on.

My 99 RG570 has these 2 characteristics. I'm waiting for the serial #

#10 ·
ah, and antoher question. what is the story behind this stripe on the neck ? It has this "bubinga stripe" I thing SonataGuitarist was refering to ? is it a "good" thing ?
The link gpengiuns sent from Ibanezregister says the neck is a "superwizard" how do they comapre to Wizard II etc... ?

Thax for all your input guys, appreciate it ! ;)

#12 ·
ahan... his serial number is F9746415 MIJ, the printed booklet that came with his guitar (general ibanez) was printed in 1996. this changes things. He says that it came out the same year as the "Crystal blue" came out. Guess that is "Flaked Blue" RGR570 is talking about (Thx for the pic ! nice superpimped btw ;) Do I actually see Blue strings on it ??? :D). Have you been happy with this guitar RGR570?

#13 ·
Yeah, they are DR blue strings.

As for the guitar: I got it brand new in '97, mainly for the cool specs:- Reverse, colour matched headstock, bound neck, shark tooth inlays, Lo Pro Edge etc. I must admit that I prefer the (original) Wizard dimensions on my 540SLTD which I got new in '91, but yeah, all in all the RGR570 is a cool guitar.

IIRC, it was released in '97 in only 2 finishes, Iron Pewter (like the one you are interested in buying) and Flaked Blue (like mine).

There has been a distinct lack of reverse headstock models from Ibanez, so it's definitely a cool guitar to own, nearly as cool as a RG565 (but not quite).

#15 ·
Alright, I just bought the RGR570. Went to test it ans it played very well, some dents and scratches on the sides that have been retouched, which could've been done beter, I have to see what I can do about it. If someone knows a good retouch tutorial to do it at it should be, would be welcome.

Reverse headstock, colour matched headstock, bound neck, shark tooth inlays, Lo Pro Edge is an awesome combo. All characteristics I really like and missed in my js1000 and classic RG570, so I'm happy there ;)

What is so devine about a RG565 ? ;) I've noticed they are wanted, but don't really know why.

another + SonataGuitarist, nice ;)

Thx again for all you input. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.