Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  gemini8026 
#1 ·
Im buying a fixed bridge 6-string as a "back-up"/alternate-tuning guitar to my 8670.

Currently this is what im considering:

Either
a 2002-model PRS Custom 24 Blue Matteo. It has 2 previous owners, but bought new in '04. Mint condition - $2000. Keep in mind that these cost $3700 new here!!

OR

A brand new RGA121 that I'll buy from Rich with a final price probably around $1500.

Right now, I'm more interested in the PRS, but still thinking. It seems like a good deal!

What do you think?

#2 ·
Buy my PRS Singlecut SE with flame maple top. :D

Man, those guitars are so different and nothing against Rich, but are you sure that's the right price for the RGA121? That's way way more than manufacturers listed retail. Street price on those new is about $800.

Maybe not talking about US dollars??

#3 ·
Hes talking US dollars after shipping and all the taxes hes gonna have to pay for it in Norway...

Dude, the PRS sounds like it would be good business, 2000 bucks in Europe for one sounds cheap... On the other hand, i think its a lil too much for it to be limited to "backup guitar" duties...

#7 ·
Depends on if you want a different or similar guitar. The RGA121 will be pretty much similar to your 8670. Everything (body, pickups, neck, etc.) about the PRS is different. I have an RGA121 and it's great. I have always wanted to like the PRS, but I just haven't been able to like the feel yet.

#8 ·
That's what I've been wondering about. I dont want a guitar with a Gibson feel neckwise. I want a fairly slim and wide neck. But the PRS come with the choice of either standard- og wide-thin neck profile! Dont know what the guitar ive looked at has yet though.. Awaiting full specs + pics..

But its not meant as "just a back-up" guitar. Its mainly because I want a better option than a Squier when a string breaks!!;) I want a good second guitar with a fixed bridge..

I want something around my 8670, but not necessarily exactly like it.

PS: The RGA costs $1200 from Rich, and about $300 extra for me to get it here.

#27 ·
I'd agree. He's renowned on here for his setup of Ibanez, which is rather difficult to perfect due to the floyds, but a good setup is not too difficult to get anywhere at a reasonable price. There's an RGA121VLF in London for about £450; I don't see why anyone should have to pay $1200 to get their hands on one...
The RGA's a fantastic player, and I love the tail, but for a mere $500 more get the PRS every time. However, if you can source an RGA for say, $700, the choice becomes more obvious; there is not such a disparity in the 'bang-for-the-buck' ratio. $700 is more a 'back-up' price; $2000 is 'I've worked my butt off to afford this baby' kinda price :D ! If it's $1500 RGA vs. $2000 PRS, then PRS every time. If, however, it's $800 RGA vs $2000 PRS then easily the RGA. There's my opinion anyway!

Dan

#11 ·
These guitars are so radically different its funny you have a hard time choosing.

Custom 24's generally have trems, so check that out first since you wanted a hardtail. Also they are more likely to have the wide-thin profile then the wide-fat. Which is usually found on the 22's.

We're talking totally different feels as far as the set-in mahogany neck and the bolt on maple. The main LP VS Strat difference.

Obviously being a PRS lover I also say the PRS. All the RGA I've played have had pretty bad neck buzz. I think it was a bad idea to use a 5 piece neck instead of a 3, but thats what happens when you have to use weaker woods, not to mention how thin those necks are. Its why Ibanez is infamous for their necks twisting into "S" shapes.

The PRS's heel and girth make it possible to use a very sturdy 1 piece neck. Which will vibrate through and through with no laminate pieces to kill the tone. Same goes for the bodies. All PRSi have 1 piece bodys so they fully resonate. Now the multi piece bodies of clear finished Ibanez guitars bug me. You know its simply for cost cutting measures.

Not saying the Ibanez isnt a good guitar. It is a good guitar for the money, which usually is a fraction the PRS.

#12 ·
These guitars are so radically different its funny you have a hard time choosing.

Custom 24's generally have trems, so check that out first since you wanted a hardtail. Also they are more likely to have the wide-thin profile then the wide-fat. Which is usually found on the 22's.

We're talking totally different feels as far as the set-in mahogany neck and the bolt on maple. The main LP VS Strat difference.

Obviously being a PRS lover I also say the PRS. All the RGA I've played have had pretty bad neck buzz. I think it was a bad idea to use a 5 piece neck instead of a 3, but thats what happens when you have to use weaker woods, not to mention how thin those necks are. Its why Ibanez is infamous for their necks twisting into "S" shapes.

The PRS's heel and girth make it possible to use a very sturdy 1 piece neck. Which will vibrate through and through with no laminate pieces to kill the tone. Same goes for the bodies. All PRSi have 1 piece bodys so they fully resonate. Now the multi piece bodies of clear finished Ibanez guitars bug me. You know its simply for cost cutting measures.

Not saying the Ibanez isnt a good guitar. It is a good guitar for the money, which usually is a fraction the PRS.
The things is that I've never tried a PRS. So, except from the specifications (which sometimes isnt very representive for what you "feel" in real life), I wouldnt know about the differences! But fortunately now I know where I could try one!

And, to do something completely different: Does any of you have any other good suggestions for 6-stringed fixed bridge guitars? Definite Maxprice is $2000, but ideally around $1500!

#13 ·
Sounds like you would like a "different" guitar.
The PRS is about as different from your other choice as you can get.
PRS and Gibson are usually spoken in the same breath, in fact- Gibson files (and lost) a lawsuit against PRS for building guitars TOO CLOSE to Gibson specs.
The idea of a backup guitar is to "replace" the main one if it breaks in a live scenario. That would mean getting something as close to the one you have now- feel, sound, scale and weight.

If that is what you're after- go with Rich Harris.
If you want a different feel, sound, weight and scale (25" even on all PRS's)
by all means go for it. I think Dankynugs has one in the classifieds right now...

#17 ·
Being the owner of two PRS Custom 22s and several JEMs, I'd say take the PRS ANY day!!!!! Custom 22s can either be trem or non trem - the stop tail that PRS use is superb, Blue Matteo is their best colour, and as for pickups, any standard sized humbucking pickup will fit in a PRS. Both of mine have what's called a "Wide Fat" neck profile (which unfortunately is starting to become a fairly good description of me too), and they feel fantastic, better than the "Wide Thin" and miles better than any Gibson I have ever played or owned. As for PRSs being overpriced, I dunno, in all honesty the wood seems miles better than Ibanez guitars - a PRS Custom is topped with half an inch of flamed or quilted Maple, and yep, they have a one piece Mahogany back and a one piece Mahogany neck - whether this is sonically better than say a two or three piece back is debatable, however there are plenty of guitar makers who will swear on their grandmother's grave that every glue join in a guitar robs the instrument of rigidity and sustain - a new PRS here in Australia is about $5200RRP, a Gibson Les Paul Standard is $4299RRP - for the extra $900 or so, you would honestly have to have very large rocks in your head to buy a Les Paul over a PRS!!!!

Cheers

David McCarroll

#20 ·
sorry, but that's an old wive's tale. the myth that one piece bodies sound better than 2 piece bodies has been going around for ages, but any good luthier will tell you that it's rubbish. if you're having issues with resonance, it's probably more related to the construction (i.e., tight neck joint) and quality of woods. there's nothing wrong with the ibanez 5 piece neck. i have an rga and it's resonant as hell. no neck buzz either. i suggest you try a properly set up rga, you'll change you're opinion...unless you're too jaded.

the difference in price between the two models is mainly due to the higher quality maple veneer and the prs name imo. they are both high quality guitars, but designed to produce drastically different tones.

#28 ·
After playing all kind of Ibanezs for over a decade, I developed a faible for PRS in recent times myself.

But if you still want a RGA121, why not buy one used...

(I have a like new one for sale, email if you are interested)

...and save some money for later, when you want a PRS as a main guitar and not just as a backup.

#29 ·
The RGA is a GREAT mid class instrument. I just sold mine for 600$ because my hand was cramping from the overly thin neck. Down the road im going to pick up another one and get someone to make a custom neck for me! I just dont have the time right now to wait around without a main axe!

I wont touch a PRS, strictly because I dont like a 25" scale. Ive played 25.5 all along and it is what I am used to. Ive played quite a few PRS, and they are great guitars, but I would purchase a Carvin over a PRS ANY day strictly to their AMAZING bang for buck features and quality. Consider Carvin if you like the 25" scale!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.