Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Is it possible for pups to be microphonic? - microphonic pic

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  JackButtler 
#1 ·
I've noticed that when i play at high volumes (with the band) I get a very low end type of feedback sound through my rig.  Now don't get me wrong I LOVE feedback but this is something very different it isn't at all musical.  I was wondering if any one knew what it was and what to do about it..It sounds like when your tubes go microphonic only lower..Other guitars i own don't do it..(FP,schecterA7)Any help you guys can give would be great..Itz getting very frustrating...

#2 ·
Is it possible for pups to be microphonic?

It's possible. Try yelling into your pickups while turned on and see if you can hear yourself through the amp. If so, then you're microphonic.

Don't think there's a way to fix this but new pickups. I think Bob has had some problems with microphonic pickups in the past and present.

Gabe

#6 ·

Quote: from kevinjDBK on 10:53 am on July 20, 2001
I've yelled into them and didn't hear anything coming out of the amp..
This would be a severe case of microphonic pickups if you could hear yourself through them. Next time you are changing strings, attach the guitar to the amp and tap on the guitar body with your fist lightly. If you hear a loud knock, then they're microphonic. However, the description you gave earlier sounds like you are microphonic. This is just another test...

Yes, redip the pickups in wax and that should fix the loose windings.

Gabe

#7 ·

yes i get a sound when i bang on the body.. we have a song where i bang on the guitar preety hard to produce a harmonic..(remember that old rudy sarzo trick) could i have knocked the windings loose? my rig is a amp modler so it can't be the amps tubez..unless its somekind of new amp modling technology :) and No my FP and 7 string don't do this...
So what...perifin (candle wax)? can you point me to a FAQ?

(Edited by kevinjDBK at 10:14 am on July 20, 2001)

#9 ·

Quote: from kevinjDBK on 11:10 am on July 20, 2001

So what...perifin (candle wax)? can you point me to a FAQ?
I did some browsing and came across this:

http://home.worldonline.dk/~jradmer/pickups.htm

http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/micKguitars/Potting-Pickups.html

http://www.mimf.com/archives/make_pickups.htm

Nothing 100% specific for re-dipping, but these pages to brush across the theory behind it, and some instructions.

Hope it turns out well!

Gabe

#15 ·

Quote: from Gabe Nickelson on 8:45 am on July 20, 2001
...I think Bob has had some problems with microphonic pickups in the past and present.

Gabe
Microphonic pickups just follow me wherever I go. I have 6 of them now. Both UVs work quite well as microphones. My old guitars are all that way too. I just don't understand what I am doing to them. I don't beat them. I turn the Legacy up to "1" and they squeal like pigs.

Time to give 'em all a dip. Greg and Chris plugged their guitars into my rig the other day and it was so nice and quiet.

#19 ·

if I hold my earphones over the polepieces on my DBK
and turn my walkman on you hear really clearly the music comming out of the amp,

assume Im an idiot, does this mean that my pickups are microphonic?

theyre only a year old at best.

steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.