Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My photography attemp

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  mi2tom 
#1 ·
eh, I'd like some opinions on theese two attempted photo's, I'm thinking of taking a photography course in college.

*disclaimer* I dont have the best camera in the world,lol

See less See more
#3 ·
The first one is allright, you really have to learn a better looking way to put your name on them. I wouldve put it bottom right in the first one and use that negative space in the top left, theres really nothing going on in the bottom right.

The 2nd one maybe should have been a tad closer and lower, looking up a little to the tree to add more depth, and a little more towards the line of the shadows, on depth shots, you dont want to see things like the grass up close on the left, just the tree.

A good start, youve got a good eye for it but just need a little more experience. ;)

#4 ·
The first one is allright, you really have to learn a better looking way to put your name on them. I wouldve put it bottom right in the first one and use that negative space in the top left, theres really nothing going on in the bottom right.

The 2nd one maybe should have been a tad closer and lower, looking up a little to the tree to add more depth, and a little more towards the line of the shadows, on depth shots, you dont want to see things like the grass up close on the left, just the tree.

A good start, youve got a good eye for it but just need a little more experience. ;)
thanks man, see theese are the opinions I need :D

#7 ·
The second one is alright, although I feel like you need to guide the viewer towards what you want to show him/her. The way you position the tree makes it seem like there is something in the background that we are meant to see, but it's not quite clear what it is. The stone is there, but is sort of obstructed by that thing in front of it, so maybe another angle would be more optimal if that's what you want to show us.

Now, the first picture - nice theme, but some issues with the composition. First of all, your friend's head and that tower in the background blend in. If you close your eyes slightly (or move your monitor back if you're using a laptop) and the colours are less visible it looks like your friend has a giant nose.

Another thing, the part of the stone, and the "stick" thing in front sort of "enclose" your friend in this picture. There is no "balance" to the picture - for instance your friend is looking at something, but the way you frame the picture, there is nothing to "look" at. Your friend looks stuck in a box of sorts...

Of course there is no "rule" for composition. You can make things look "wrong" on purpose etc. as long as you are achieving some sort of an effect, which doesn't seem to be the case in this photograph.

Sorry for the criticism, but for me composition is as important as purely "technical skills" and I think it's important to address it at an early stage. I am not claiming to be an expert either, I know I am a lousy photographer, but I have looked at enough pictures get a bit of a "feel" for it.

#9 ·
The second one is alright, although I feel like you need to guide the viewer towards what you want to show him/her. The way you position the tree makes it seem like there is something in the background that we are meant to see, but it's not quite clear what it is. The stone is there, but is sort of obstructed by that thing in front of it, so maybe another angle would be more optimal if that's what you want to show us.

Now, the first picture - nice theme, but some issues with the composition. First of all, your friend's head and that tower in the background blend in. If you close your eyes slightly (or move your monitor back if you're using a laptop) and the colours are less visible it looks like your friend has a giant nose.

Another thing, the part of the stone, and the "stick" thing in front sort of "enclose" your friend in this picture. There is no "balance" to the picture - for instance your friend is looking at something, but the way you frame the picture, there is nothing to "look" at. Your friend looks stuck in a box of sorts...

Of course there is no "rule" for composition. You can make things look "wrong" on purpose etc. as long as you are achieving some sort of an effect, which doesn't seem to be the case in this photograph.

Sorry for the criticism, but for me composition is as important as purely "technical skills" and I think it's important to address it at an early stage. I am not claiming to be an expert either, I know I am a lousy photographer, but I have looked at enough pictures get a bit of a "feel" for it.
well thanks for your input, theese are the kind of thing's I need to hear so I can sulk it all in.

anyone know any sites on photography tips?

#12 ·
+1

Its like that for any design course, it should be evident that you have thought out the concept of the image and have used the technical things to help portray the meaning instead of making something that is balanced and looks pleasing but has no meaning or the various eye-pleasing techniques you have used are just that and dont contribute to the meaning.

I havnt done a specific photography course but design principals are universal. Except with real life photography you have to have a good eye to spot things you can take advantage of, because you cant just draw something in or add a background to balance the image.

#13 ·
i would highly recommend classes or a local camera club just for the "get out and shoot" and exchange of ideas value. you'll be forced to shoot various pics that you might not normally be interested in. forget the grades or scores or whatever.

regarding these shots...

#1 i can appreciate the idea, but the execution is really flawed due to exposure, subject's orientation (i'd have them totally sideways for a silhoutte) and worse the lens flare (see light blobs and the huge bubble in front of the subjects eyes). your camera/lens can't handle that type of shot without serious trial/error and manual exposure experimentation. if the sun were in the upper right or left (not almost dead center) it would greatly help. that is like shooting in snow... you need to meter the light for the white snow (sky in this case) then compensate for the dark subject by recomposing the shot (if you're on auto exposure).

#2 is better overall technically, but lacking in "what are we looking at" factor. I think i might have worked better shot/cropped landscape (not portrait). that tree and bark is not very interesting and the background is too random/boring in contrast.

maybe if you explained what you were trying to do with each photo we could give better constructive criticism and suggestions :) ...glen

#14 ·
i can see what you are going for and with a little more practice and MAYBE schooling, you will get there faster. it's all about telling a story with your photos. it's your job to show others what you "see." when i go out shooting, there are times when people ask, what are you shooting? why are you shooting that staircase or why are you shooting that bridge like that? i see things. it's your job to make others see them, as what glen said....we need to know where to look.

pic 1; i can see you were maybe going for the person with the sunset with possibly the silhouette against the sky. good idea but it's ruined with the sunspots. lens gaurds can take care of this for you.

pic 2: very good idea but what would REALLY make THIS PICTURE pop is depth of field. maybe your camera doesn't have that capability. if you do, i would have had the tree to the right in sharp focus, possibly zooming in on it a little more, with the background blurred. OR have an object in the distance in focus with the foreground really blurred out. great use of depth of field can really make a great photo.

good luck. remember, some of the greatest photographers never went to school.

here is a site i frequent....it can help you too.

www.thephotoforum.com

steve

#15 ·
I can't see your pictures so I can't comment on them, but the only piece of advice I can give you that, your camera does not matter as much as you think. Concentrate on composition. I'm not saying that technical knowledge and tools are not important but they are just tools. They are tools to express yourself, convey your thoughts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.