Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Quick question for about Malmsteen Strat

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  EL-CeeDee 
#1 ·
Okay, I've narrowed my next guitar purchase down to one of a few signature strats. I'm particularly interested in the Malmsteen as the neck was much easier to get used to than I originally thought. Anyway, if any Malmsteen strat owners can chime in, here is my short list of dumb questions:

1. Can I use a capo and not throw it out of tune?
2. Would there be a benefit to install a 5-way switch to get in-between tones given the pickups it comes with?
3. Maple board or rosewood?

Okay, that's about it. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I have had a Malmer now for a little over a year and play it a lot. It's an awesome guitar with great tone and lots of balls when coupled with the correct amp settings.

To get a good shred tone you will need to use more distortion than you would with a humbucker since the pickups are very low output. They are on par with classic Strat singles (not the overwound type). Because they are the stacked DiMarzio's (HS3 brdige, YJMs mid and neck) people think they are humbckers in the classic sense, but they are not... and they are not high output. But they are hum free. ;)

I haven't tried the capo, but I imagine you could get it to work ok but it would be a challenge if you were bending strings and doing other stuff while capoed. Capos generally clamp down on the fretboard at some point and that's what stabilizes them... this can't be done on a scalloped board.

The YJM in the middle is pretty useless tonewise. Like Yngwie, I never use it and have screwed down to the pickguard. Part of the problem is the way this pickup is EQ'ed... it's pretty dark, so there is almost no difference between it and the neck YJM despite the physical location. Strange, but true. In fact, all the pups are pretty dark which is what makes it sound so mean with a good distortion patch/setting.

Mine is a maple board with the vintage white (or pee-pee yellow, as I call it ;) ). Rosewood boards are easier to maintenance when it comes time to re-fret and the tone is slightly different... but unless you're Eric Johnson with neurosis of the ear and can claim to hear tonal differences between specks of dust resting on your headstock, then just think of rosewood or maple as aesthetic choices. I preferred the classic Malmsteen vintage white/maple combo because he is most readily identified with this particular config.

The guitar itself is made in the Custom Shop, not on the assembly line. The body is routed for singles only, no huge "swimming pool" route for humbuckers which I am convinced makes the guitar sound even better. I have two other Strats (a Custom Shop and a Deluxe). The CS, like the Malmer, is single routed only and the Deluxe is humbucker routed. All three are made from the same wood (Alder) and they both smoke the Deluxe when played unplugged. Of course, the vintage tremolo helps a bunch with tone coupling over the modern trem of the Deluxe, as well. The CS and Malmsteen almost acheive acoustic loudeness when played sans amp! ;)

All in all, a great guitar... I highly recommend it.

RR

#3 ·
you will need an adjustable tension capo rather than a kyser quick change type to work with the scalloped board ,but, it can be done.

I think the Sig model has a 5-way switch or at least my 90` model malmsteen did.

Maple if you wanna be an Yngwie clone, Rosewood if you like the darker board look.........

#7 ·
I think the Sig model has a 5-way switch or at least my 90` model malmsteen did.
The American made models that Fender sells now only have the three way switch, which is Yngwie's spec. In fact, the new '07 models now have the bullet truss rod and machine screw neck bolts which gets them even closer to Yngwie's 70's Strats.

I thought I read somewhere that on Yngwie's personal strats the middle pickup and the the tone knobs are all disconnected. Any truth to that?
Yes, that is right according to what I've read.

Pee Pee yellow :D

FTW! I couldnt stop laughing at that phrase.

RR

#8 · (Edited)
Haha, I've got the same pee-pee yellow model with maple neck :D

I replaced the pickguard with a white one though ( lightly aged, that was fun ). Looks much better, even with the mint green pups.

The three way switch actually HAS the 5 positions, put the switch between "clicks" and it works, so I reckon a 5 way would be a snap to install. I actually really like the neck and middle pickup combined, with the right amp/settings, you can play country music! :D

I never use capos, but I think they CAN be a problem. Learn new fingerings?

For me, maple neck was the way to go. I like the way it looks.

Tonewise... it's a rather difficult guitar. I've always had a love/hate relation with it. there are months on end I play nothing but my YJM, and simply adore it. While maybe a week later it's gathering dust. My advice: Get it as a second/third/fourth/etc. guitar. like a small convertible car for the weekends.

I wouldn't do without it though. The neck never stops to amaze me, the utter loads of grip on the strings while bending or making wild, wide vibrato's, YEAH!

Do replace the vintage tremolo saddles with some graphtechs. Much smoother feel and a more solid tone. Lower the trem flat onto the body ( no semi-floating setup ). this really adds to the overall tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.