Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Got me first JEM..a 777VDY...oh my:) - what's the type of th

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jimi D 
#1 ·
Hi,

Man...i'm deeply in love.
I was hunting for a used JS1000 but couldn't find one anywhere.
Came across this one, 777VDY, 600$...just had to try it out....and completely unexpectedly fell for it...dooohhhh.
It's in good condition and the only real 'pisser' is that there are two chips of the body and the wood shows thru there.
Both are small...but still.
What's this type of finish?...all the guitars i've had sofar had a  cellulose based finish but this is that thick modern age crap.
Are these chips fixable with a good result without completely re finishing the guitar?

Cheers,
Willem

#4 ·
Got me first JEM..a 777VDY...oh my:)

Hehehe....

Yep Jeroen...you guessed right...:)...how the he** did you know?
It plays really nice, i'm really not that big a fan of the really thin necks but i'm really enjoying this one.
Only thing is the flower inlay no the fretboard, feel it quite obviously when sliding up and down the neck but i'm used to it already so..:)
And i like the PFA pros...both bridge and neck, sounds rather eat em and smile over my 5150...hehehe

cheers

Quote: from Jeroenn on 7:52 am on Aug. 16, 2001
Hey dude,
Glad to see you ended your hunt succesfully.
Let me guess, SoundHouse Hoogeveen?

You best leave that paint allone. There isn't much you can do about that, exept a complete refinish.

So, how is she playing???
Seeya,

#6 ·

You got a great deal on that VDY. Congratulations.

The paint on your guitar is either polyester or polyurethane. These types of finishes are used on most modern production guitars. They are durable and shiny but they it is hard to make invisible repairs to these finishes. I bet mathcing the color will be tricky too.

Rick

#7 ·

Believe it or not, matching the color won't be as hard as you might think. You could check hobby shops or auto supply houses.

I've found that the best paint matches come from House of Kolor. They do alot of hot rod style paint as well. I was able to touch up my green UV with a perfect match.

Cheers,
Butch

#8 ·

Came across this one, 777VDY, 600$...just had to try it out....and completely unexpectedly fell for it...dooohhhh.
That's exactly what happened to me with my first Jem - picked up a Floral on a whim for a laugh, rattled off my best SRV licks and just completely fell in love with it. Walked out of the store with it, too :biggrin:

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.