Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Breed vs Paf Pro vs Evolution vs Blaze II - Pickupps discuss

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jay Satriani 
#1 ·
What pickupps are the best sounding, and why. What differs them from eachother. Is Paf pro old and outdated, or does it just sound different from other pickups or whatever ? Witch Jem/uv/other is the ultimate studio Jem/uv/other. Has anyone tested the FRED ?

Me myself have not got my first Jem yet but im working on it, right now i have a Am-standard Strat witch i like very much. Espessially the neck single pickup wich is a seymor n' suncan-something.... Is it possible to build in a coil-tap switch on a jem, how much would that cost, etc, etc.....

#2 ·
Breed vs Paf Pro vs Evolution vs Blaze II

None of the pick ups are better sounding than the other, it's just what YOU like, but here's what Dimarzio has to say about them:

PAF-PRO - Classic Humbucking sound, with added presence, output and clarity

FRED - Strong mids and a wide range of harmonics and overtones

EVOLUTION (neck) - fat, punchy and loud
EVOLUTION (bridge) - Tight, Aggressive and louder. Wide range of overtones.

BLAZE (neck) - Medium power, warm, clean tone
BLAZE (bridge) - High power, punchy bass and treble, clean mids

BREED - Classic 50's smooth and fluid humbucking tone. Hotter than PAF-PRO, but not as hot as an EVOLUTION.

Blah, Blah, Blah...

The Paf pro isn't outdated, but it's suppose to sound like the old pick-ups with a modern day twist, sorta...

See http://www.dimarzio.com
I believe they have a bit more info about the pick-ups

BTW - I assume you know that The Blaze II's are
7-string pick-ups...

#3 ·

Yes Yes, i know iknow, i have read them a thousand times allready... Yes i know Blaze II is the UV pickupps....
This is not just me asking a silly question, just wantet to start a discussion, to se what you guys(and girls ?) at Jemsite would say obout the different pickupps, because it seams that every 1 of you allready have at least 1 Jem or Uv

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 5:24 pm on Aug. 19, 2001)

#5 ·

No, not yet, im looking at all options, in all price ranges. It may even be a UV and a Jem at the same time if im lucky, but thats up to my budget to deciede, what jems do you have. You may even have a JPM judging by your nickname... Must say Images n' Words is the best DT album...
Ok lets stick to the subject here... Pickups...

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 8:07 pm on Aug. 19, 2001)

#6 ·

It's great fun swapping pups! I do that very often, e.g. when I want some new tones out of my existing guitars.

I personally prefer pups with smaller output, so PAF Pro's are my favourite. Yngwie says high output pups distort tone - I tend to agree. I really really dig the warmth and clarity of the PAF Pro's which you don't get from Evolution's.

Problem is, they don't sound very big (i.e. they have not enough low end's).

I also like Bill Lawrence L500's which are useful for playing big crunchy riffs.

#8 ·

Quote: from Jay Satriani on 7:34 am on Aug. 20, 2001
Does some Pickupps (JEM77FP for example) fade in color, because some has a lighter pink and some has a darker.... ??
Yes, the pink fades a lot. I don't think the new ones fade as quickly as the older ones, but I may be wrong.

As for the pickups, it's all according to your ear.
I have played the Breeds, Evos and Paf Pros and of the 3, it would be a toss up between the Paf Pros and the Breeds.

However, there are even better DiMarzio pickups than those mentioned. I just want to stay on topic, lest I have Kevan's mightey sword slash through me like crap through a goose :biggrin:

J> :thumbsup:

#9 ·

Jay, I really love my Evo's. They are tone monsters!!! I also have Jem's equipped with Breed's and Paf's, and they all sound great. The versatality between the 3 Jems give me unlimited tonal possibilities. If you're looking for a high output pick-up, DiMarzio X2N's are super hot. What type of music are you playing, and what sound are you after? ---ron

#10 ·

Quote: from Jay Satriani on 7:57 pm on Aug. 19, 2001
what jems do you have. You may even have a JPM judging by your nickname
Actually, I have neither...:)

BTW - Don't let the nickname fool you, I'm just a DT/Petrucci fan, but I'm actually far bigger Vai worshipper !!!:)

(Edited by ytsejam at 3:41 pm on Aug. 20, 2001)

#11 ·

Im a big Satriani worshipper, as you all probably guessed along time ago... but Vai, and ofcourse John petrucci is really big influences on me to...

Guess the quote:
"He's The chef man, right here, he's the chef !!":rotf:
Who stated it and wherefrom...?
So played for along time... ??? I have played for about 3 years, but started the many hours of practice every day about 6 mounths ago....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.