Ibanez JEM Forum banner
8K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  MadRyan 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I didn't really have any luck finding anything when I searched...

Could someone explain the big differences between the JSX 212 Combo and the head? I know the obvious, like the fact that the head is just a head and the combo is a combo...but I guess I'm looking for any differences in tone or options. The combo is much more in my price range as opposed to buying a head AND a cab to go with it, since I have no cab...

Thanks!

#4 ·
The differences between the head and the combo are:

The Combo has a full/half power switch and a reverb

Both amps are able to drive external cabs and they both have the same power ratings. If a head/cab rig is not your thing, you can always get the combo. Most people these days can get away with using a combo amp at a gig and the 212 is loud enough that you won't need anything else.

Jimmy:smile:

#10 ·
To be honest, I've always thought the head/cab setup is just a whole lot cooler than a combo.

And you can get a used JSX head and a good cab (I have an Avatar 2x12) for about the price of the combo (I paid $850 for the head, $350 for the cab).

I'd strongly recommend buying used. You're talking about nearly $700 off the list price compared to what the head sells for new.

#11 ·
Yeah but, that's another different debate. It's a P.I.T.A. to haul the head, cab and whatever else when you can carry the combo, stick it in the trunk and you're done. Most musicians these days don't really use the head/cab combination. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a JSX half stack in addition to my 212 but, having a combo is just more functional IMO.

#12 ·
to anyone who has the combo does it really weigh 85lbs like the websit says? thats just rediculous for a 212 ... my carvin 212 is less than half that weight

Why they have to make these things so damn heavy.. dot they realise that lugging that weight around with one hand isnt very conducive to being able to play guitar.

#15 ·
to anyone who has the combo does it really weigh 85lbs like the websit says? thats just rediculous for a 212 ... my carvin 212 is less than half that weight

Why they have to make these things so damn heavy.. dot they realise that lugging that weight around with one hand isnt very conducive to being able to play guitar.
It's close to 90 lbs. I guess 85 is a fair number. I haven't really put mine on a scale but it's heavy enough. The reason why is so heavy? Well, let's put this into perspective, the JSX head is about 65 lbs, add 2 12" speakers and you're somewhere between 85-90 lbs.

The reason why your Carvin may be lighter is probably because of the speakers. Also, the dimensions of the JSX212 are bigger in comparison to the carvin.

#13 ·
I vote head and a nice avatar cab, they are high quality and very inexpensive. Another alternative is the carvin legacy cab, they are pretty cheap on **** and very very good. I like the idea of being able to mix and match amps with different cabs, and I'd much rather carry a head and roll in a cab than lug around a heavy ass combo

#14 ·
I bought my JSX head new locally for about 925. They matched pricing with one that was on E**y. I already had a pair of 1960 cabs from my Marshall I bought in 72' that work just fine with the head. If I had not already had the stack, I would have opted for the combo for the added advantage of the reverb.

#16 ·
Depends upon your living situation as well.. If you're a musician that's already made it to a degree, and you are touring right now, the head and cab would be nice. If you're 45 and it's past your time, but you have a lotta money and a sound proof room, i'd probably go for the head/cab. But if you're a college student like me who gigs maybe once a week, and can't have too much noise because of roommates, go for a combo.

#20 ·
I went the head/212 route because aside from being much easier to move, I also don't have to worry about the speakers shaking the tubes apart, not to mention the heat buildup inside a tube combo amp. Someone, I think it was Bob at Eurotubes said that combo amps were tube torture chambers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.