Ibanez JEM Forum banner

mode help, sob's

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Ki swordsman 
#1 · (Edited)
note this should read= mode help? THE sob's ( i tried to edit but the thing wont let me edit the title, i was not calling all you people sob's honest) my next thread will be "how to win friends and influence people") I APOLOGIZE PROFUSLY FOR THIS MONUMENTAL GAFF and my bad spelling. if i can alter the title please tell me how, cause im new to this. cheers

hi if im playing over a progression C,F,G major and all i play is C major.

Over C im playing C ionian ,
over F im playing C mixo
and over the G i'd be playing C lydain??

if i wanted to stay in Lydian over the same chords then i would have to play.....

G major over the C
C Major over the F
D major over the G????

please tell me that this is right or i will hang myself! unless im over complicating it and if that the case i will give the answer 10 minutes and if i cant work it out then i will kill myself. i will the post a link to the utube video of said hanging and it wont be pretty! hold on, how will i do that? i,ll be dead.... ohhhhhhhhhhhh when it rains it pours!

my mate has confused the ****tt out of me with this subject, i should also try to take him out with me when i go. i'l post that vid as well, how am i going to do it if im dead.................... i'll have to kill him first!

ps PLEASE if your not sure, please dont post, my life maybe in the balance.
:rolleyes: if no replies in one hour, watch the BBC midlands news!

See less See more
#2 ·
hi if im playing over a progression C,F,G major and all i play is C major.

Over C im playing C ionian ,
over F im playing C mixo
and over the G i'd be playing C lydain??
correct but you've mixed lydian and mixolydian around, lydian comes before the mixolydian and after dorian

so staying in Cmajor then over c you're in=ionian
over f=lydian
over g= mixo
if i wanted to stay in Lydian over the same chords then i would have to play.....

G major over the C
C Major over the F
D major over the G????
correct. if you want to play lydian you need the key to be lydian, you'd need to play C lydian over a C which is what your Gmajor is doing, Gmajor scale is the relative major to C lydian(same notes/connected).
and F lydian over F which is what your C major is doing etc

but what people playing in lydian will usually do is base the key on say C lydian and not change it, so instead of going onto Flydian then Glydian to keep everything lydian, they would base it on the C which has lydian played on it and keep playing C lydian over the F(but there is no F in C lydian so can't play that one anymore, let's make it an Aminor or something) and over the G major

thereby making you technically play in
C lydian over C=lydian
C lydian over Amin= dorian
over the G=ionian
and you'd get the flavours of all of those while being based in C lydian

you can do key change stuff too, changing to be technically lydian over every key, or any random combo. that can be great, i'm just taking a guess at what you want to know here though

#4 ·
hello forum people, this is the late guitarnutters mom. we returned today to find him hung. its a sad day but he left a note for me to post, in the event of his demise. thanks to the man from australia whos response for help came just too late to save him it would seem.

anyway on a related subject, i also play and you advice seemed to make a lot of sense to me, but my son... gord bless him... was a thick one.

but what people playing in lydian will usually do is base the key on say C lydian and not change it, so instead of going onto Flydian then Glydian to keep everything lydian, they would base it on the C which has lydian played on it and keep playing C lydian over the F(but there is no F in C lydian so can't play that one anymore, let's make it an Aminor or something) and over the G major

thereby making you technically play in
C lydian over C=lydian
C lydian over Amin= dorian
over the G=ionian
and you'd get the flavours of all of those while being based in C lydian

so basically there going to play gmajor over the progression.?

how could i stay in lydian over a verse or section of a song? is this where the base notes start coming into play?

also i though i could only play major modes like lydian over major chord sequences without effecting the mood of the mode.

cheers again for your help.

#9 ·
so basically there going to play gmajor over the progression.?
well they're playing C lydian over a C based progression. so they are playing in C lydian which is connected to G ionian with the same notes. but even when you're playing your G ionian shape, you're still in C lydian because that's what the key is based on(C lydian).
how could i stay in lydian over a verse or section of a song? is this where the base notes start coming into play?
well you could either play 'that chords lydian' over every chord (like Flydian over F, G lydian over G)

or do the usual thing like Vai etc which is to use the flavours of the other modes too by staying in one lydian key even over the other chords, technically giving you a different mode over each chord but that will add new feeling and flavours while feeling uniformly in the lydian based key..
also i though i could only play major modes like lydian over major chord sequences without effecting the mood of the mode.
yes you can only play C lydian over a Cmajor based chord
you couldn't then play A lydian over Aminor, but you could keep playing C lydian over A minor because they are connected, which would technically switch you into A dorian.

look at it this way. the modes are a template, all connected to eachother, and each mode has a type of chord it associates with.
so imagine that chord sitting on the first note of each mode..
(major chord for lydian, major chord for mixo, minor for aeolian, diminished for locrian, major for ionian, minor for dorian, minor for phygian, then you're back to lydian)
now that whole template can be lifted and moved around, and it's all one piece so the modes stay connected the same way nomatter where you drop the template

if you play a cmajor, you could place the template so the c ionian first note is over the C on the E string, then you're playing in C ionian.
or you could lift the whole template and drop it so lydian's first note is over C
now you're playing in C lydian,
and when you've placed the template you can see all the notes you can hit, from all the mode shapes, they are all still connected.

you can also see the relative chords for each mode moving, so if i place it so A Aolian is over A, then i can see i can play a C major where the ionian is sitting(over C) and then a D minor where the dorian is sitting(over D)

all the while my template is still sitting on A aeolian
then if i bump the template up a fret, my aeolian is now sitting over A# so i can now play an A#minor and solo in A# aeolian and i can see the chords i can work with have moved, the ionian's chord which was C, is now up one fret to a C#, so i can play a C#major, and the dorian's chord has moved up to D# so i can play D#minor
and over any of those chords i can solo playing all of A# aeolian, C# ionian and D# dorian's notes
the mode i'm technically playing in will change between those three only when the chord underneath changes.

#12 ·
hago means have a good one and there was a comedian who used to sign off with his name frank carson news at 10 sober! he used to make me chuckel as he was a raving nutter. i dont drink much.... honest! now ive gone and got butter on my keyboard on th- k-y b--t--n th- w and th- r, i will hav- to avoid it untill i can g-t it cl-an-d up, its a good job its not us-d much in th-
-nglish languag-. hago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.