Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  AJofATTICA 
#1 ·
Well i am going to have to wait about a week longer for the jem but hey no biggie. Well i am moping because i keep thinking that i am up to par on some of these guys but i just ain't fast enough for petrucci and vai or this one metallica solo. Am i behind if i can't all of for the love of god if i have been playing for two years(Even though 8 months i did nothing but strum the same chord progression. I want honest opinions. And oh yeah to stay on a jem topic is it true from what i was told that if i hap[pened to go to japan i could get a jem for like 400 dollars U.S now this was from a friend who doesn't play but just used to live there. Advice on all said.Thanks and may the jem live on forever. Only 12 days till my birthday.h i am so excited

#2 ·
i have no idea about the cost of a JEM in Japan, but since Ishibashi's web site (a Japanese dealer) lists them around the same cost we pay, I doubt there's much of a difference.  The US is very fond of using our clout to make sure we pay as close to native market retail as possible.

In terms of your playing, No you don't suck if you can't play For the Love of God after playing for two years.  Remember this:  Steve had been playing for almost 20 years when he recorded that song.  

#3 ·
dude!

2 years, and you want to be able to play FTLOG....

give it time man.

I've been playing near 8 years, and I can't come close to capturing Vai's feel. Or play the really, really fast bits cleanly.

Just keep playing. Maybe you'll be able to play like vai one day. Just remember, not even Petrucci can play like VAI, or vice-versa.

#4 ·
Noone is ever behind, as music is not a rat race. You are only behind if you do not enjoy playing. Everyone wants to get better, but there are no "milestones" song wise. It's taken me time (about 8 years now) to start to get to a level where I am reasonably happy about some aspects of my playing, and I still want to improve in areas. I can't play any vai, don't really want to learn any as it doesn't really interest me at the moment, and can play half a metallica solo or two which i tried to learn ages ago and got bored. So yeah, give it time!

Oh also, buying an instrument in a foreign country might seem cheaper, but when you bring it back you suddenly find that customs want money of you. Hence the price difference (along with shipping costs etc). So you might find you don't save as much money as you'd think.

#5 ·
Two years of playing is a great start, and no you are not "behind" if you can't play Vai. It takes time and a lot of patience. Plus a very experienced instructor. Are you taking lessons or playing by ear? When I first started playing, I took lessons for a few months and thought I was really progressing. Man, was I ever wrong. Now that I look back at those early years, I did'nt know squat!!! I've been playing since 1976 and around 1985 or so, I lost interest. Every once in a while I would take my guitar and play for a few hours, but nothing serious. In 1997 I began to take a serious interest in guitar again. Yes, I can play Vai, but only after I learned how to put true feeling in my playing. There will always be room for improvement no matter how long you've been playing. I'm sorry I laid it to rest for all those years. Keep practicing and you will improve, God knows I have and I'm sure many will agree. Rock On! --rvj

#6 ·
For the Love of God has been done within two years (ive witnessed this myself), but you are by no means behind.  I dont even get really what you mean, but I dont really know who youd be comparing yourself to.  As long as youre having fun man.  Ive been playing almost 5 now, and on a year by year comparison, you're probably ahead of me, if thats what youre asking.  I too was once stuck in the realm of Kirk Hammet solos, but once you break that barrier, you'll find out two things:

guitar playing is a form of true freedom -- there is so much out there to learn and play.  Its fun and exciting to think about.

and second, you will find out that your guitar playing ability is still so strictly limited.  All the more motivation to keep playing.

Good luck.

#7 ·
I have to agree with everyones replies here.  Theres no real "benchmark" or "yardstick" to measure progress by. Its all a matter of how much you practice, and even then it takes time to make significant jumps in your playing. Technique is good(ala the greats....Vai, Petrucci etc) but feeling is just as much if not MORE important.
  I myself have played music for about 15 years....but for the majority of it as a bass player and drummer. I always tinkered with guitar but not enough to learn much past the basic chords etc.  About 2 1/2 years ago I retired from playing bass to solely focus on guitar as a songwriter. Well....by necessity I ended up diving into lead guitar territory since the band I put together couldn't find a decent lead player that fit in. Its been a helluva lot of work .....but I have came into my own in the past 2 years.
  Like the other guys have said......as long as you are enjoying playing guitar, THATS the important thing! Progress will come to those who want it! ;)  Good luck and keep at it! :thumbsup:
A.J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.