Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Would you purchase a Dave Weiner Guitar sometime in your life?

• Yes I would purchase a DW guitar if the price was right.

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • No I would never purchase a DW guitar.

Votes: 36 44.4%
14K views 64 replies 37 participants last post by  kotornut 
#1 · (Edited)
I created this post to see if the market has changed for the Dave Weiner guitar?

--I know there are a couple of similar posts out there: however, they go off topic and are old. With that said, please do not go off topic in this thread. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Please post comments in here if you would purchase a Dave Weiner guitar (if the price was right).

--Feel free to post why you would not purchase a DW guitar too?

Below are the pics and specs of the DW guitars LACS built for Dave:

So let's hear it all! :rolleyes:

--Do you like any of the above guitars?
--Would you purchase a DW Guitar sometime in your guitar life?
--How would you like the DW guitar to be?

Please Sign The Online Petition If Yes: http://www.petitiononline.com/davewe9r/petition.html

I would really like to see the DW guitar go into production for a few reasons. I really like the looks and shapes of the DW guitars. Most important to me is that the DW guitars are 7 String Maple Boards!!!
The DW76 body has a different shape compared to the past. And IMO it is a Beaut! I also like the 2003 Black & Blood Red. The inlay really stands out well on the board.
If the DW guitar is ever placed in production I would hope it's made in Japan.

As for sound...I've heard the guitar played from seeing Dave perform live, listening to the album, and live tracks. I've heard enough to be happy with any of them ;)

Paul

See less See more
#19 ·

Yea, like the color combinations, which is the main reason why I voted yes, the maple boards and the reverse headstock. Plus, it's a different 7 string than Ibanez produces right now.

They may in a few years. Probably would solely depend on how well his solo recording effort did and probably the additional backing of Steve.

#7 ·
I think some of those guitars are cool looking except for one of the ugliest guitars I've seen, the brown one! I'm not a fan of Dave's playing even though I know he is good and way way way better way better than me! Moreover, I think his sound is bad and weak, his sounds has no balls. To me it always sounds like he needs more distortion!

#38 ·
Moreover, I think his sound is bad and weak, his sounds has no balls. To me it always sounds like he needs more distortion!
Dear god that's unfair. You're blaming Dave for what's going on at the sound engineer's desk.....

I couldn't find the post but Dave sent in a picture of his new guitar recently, and it was a much nicer looking model than the earlier ones (well I thought so). I'm not hugely keen on the older geets. Would I buy one? Probably not, I've got one seven stringer and it's as much as I can handle (more than, actually).

#9 ·
I definitely would get the latest model...my tastes have gotten more and more simple as time has gone on. I don't think my next guitar will even have a trem. I like the color scheme on his last one...but that one with the stripes...man, frickin hideous.

About his sound having no balls - I know what you're saying. At first, I didn't like it either, but I myself have also started playing with less and less distortion. I feel like it gives me more control of my tone and now my ear really digs a very lightly overdriven sound.

#11 ·
Since I bought a fixed bridge guitar I haven't really missed the trem much, so maybe my taste in guitars is getting a little more simple too. On the other hand, I was never really a heavy trem user anyway, I like to be subtle with it.

I actually like the striped one, it's weird, but in a good way. Reminds me of an old ZX Spectrum or something! Should be black, though... with Space Invader inlays! F'king cool!

And regarding distortion, I'm with you there, MelodyMan. Lightly distorted guitars can still sound heavy anyway -- Brett Garsed tone on the latest Planet X album (Quantum) is proof of that. Mild distortion, but man, he slays!

#14 ·
I probably wouldn't buy one myself because I don't play 7 string guitar anymore. If I needed a 7 string I'd hunt down an old Universe i white or swirl.

Having said that I love the styling og the red/black burst one, but like a pickguard for comfort so would want the clear guard off the copper burst one fitting.

#17 ·
I doubt I'd ever purchase a signature / Artist guitar

The only reason I could ever see myself in that position is if the guitar had a config / construction that I couldn't get via a production guitar.

Even then with price hike you normally get with a sig guitar when compared to a similar production guitar I'd probably have something custom made or a production guitar modified.

Sig / Artist guitars = a way to screw the fan from his hard earned coin IMHO

#21 ·
I doubt I'd ever purchase a signature / Artist guitar

The only reason I could ever see myself in that position is if the guitar had a config / construction that I couldn't get via a production guitar.

Even then with price hike you normally get with a sig guitar when compared to a similar production guitar I'd probably have something custom made or a production guitar modified.

Sig / Artist guitars = a way to screw the fan from his hard earned coin IMHO
So how many Jems or RGs do you have?

#18 ·
I like the green one, from an aesthetic viewpoint. The red one is cool, too, but it looks a lot like Music Man's pearl redburst, to me.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy any of them. Because I don't need a seven string. :)

That said, it would be a cool idea for Ibanez to release a DW signature, because right now their options for seven strings are way too limited, IMO. And there are plenty of people who would be interested in a DW signature.

But, I remember Dave Weiner saying that he deliberately chose 'unusual' colors for his guitars, because nobody else would want them that way. Maybe he was joking, but maybe he wasn't. In which case the possiblity of a DW signature would be very small. :)

Alwin

#24 ·
Like I said in my original post I'd only ever buy an Artist guitar if it had something I couldn't get on a production guitar or I'd have a production guitar mod'ed.

As far as the pretending to own a jem comment.... I think even Stevie Wonder could see that my avatar pic isn't a Jem :)

I had a 3xx series body swirled - I like swirls - and the guy who did the swirl offered a monkey grip to which I said yep. to be honest I wish I'd not had the grip done now. But i've got it, its staying, the guitar plays sweet and sounds fantastic - the best thing is it cost about a 1/3 of a 2nd hand jem.

#31 ·
Like I said in my original post I'd only ever buy an Artist guitar if it had something I couldn't get on a production guitar or I'd have a production guitar mod'ed.

As far as the pretending to own a jem comment.... I think even Stevie Wonder could see that my avatar pic isn't a Jem :)

I had a 3xx series body swirled - I like swirls - and the guy who did the swirl offered a monkey grip to which I said yep. to be honest I wish I'd not had the grip done now. But i've got it, its staying, the guitar plays sweet and sounds fantastic - the best thing is it cost about a 1/3 of a 2nd hand jem.
Right! :roll: I get it!!! it looks like a GMC JEM wanna be!!! :lol: See elcid, you missed the GMC that's why the avatar clearly doesn't look like a JEM! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.