Ibanez JEM Forum banner
13K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  jazzedout 
#1 ·
So I have this black RG550 I bought it new back then, it has been with me for all these years. It has had a few mods from time to time and currently looks like this:

Since I feel a little bored with the color after all these years, I am thinking about repainting it.
1st color that came to mind is white. this is what I wanted to buy at that time, a white RG550, but the Greek dealer didn't have any in stock (there were a few DY available but didn't like it back then :))
2nd thing that came to my mind is do a sunburst finish that would go nicely with the perloid pickguard and the maple neck. (that's the reason it is photographed side by side with my Levinson) the thing that bothers me about it is that I don't know how it would look with the black hardware and pickups. I'd like to avoid changing these (high cost).
3rd: A light blue color, like daphne blue, or a nice automotive light blue.
4th: Strip the body, leave it natural, or oil it. I am a little sceptical about this since I don't know how many pieces the body is made from, or how ugly the basswood is.

A few others have crossed my mind, but please be my guest and suggest anything that you thing would go nicely eith my guitar.
Thanks in advance for all the sugestinons!

See less See more
#54 ·
Thanks!
The 3120ish body isn't a reality yet... Although I don't think it will be long until I order one.
I like Magnus Olsson's guitar so it will be something along these lines. For the moment I have the neck, all chrome Edge trem and all complementing hardware including a chrome Ibanez neck plate. A body and pickups and it will be ready ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.