Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jemsite 
#1 ·
I need the 'right' pickup for my 7 string ibanez (RG7620 to be exact). Basswood Body, Rosewood fingerboard. My amp is a Marshall JCM2000 DSL201. I was wondering which pickup could get me close to Dream Theater like crunch, something that will clarify the open chords through a distorted channel. As for the neck pickup what could be the best possible match for it? I emailed dimarzio earlier, they recommended me dactivator 7 and air norton 7, i wonder what 7-stringers here have to say about this...

so far from my research.. i came up with these lists:
dactivator7
evo7
dsonic7
blaze

and for neck..
air norton7

#2 · (Edited)
the d-sonic clip i sent ya wasn't convincing enough? :p
I have an evo7 on my GR... i recently moved it from the bridge to the neck... and it's a no-remorse pickup in that position. On the bridge, sounds great and cuts through any mix, crunchy and enough thump.
Had the Blaze in the neck and that sounded way too bassy... I moved that to the bridge while I'm waiting for a D-Activator7 to replace it. I remember why I didn't like the Blaze; it sounds like you have to pick harder to get that "evo7" attack. However, it is that pickup that has defined the tones for DT's heavy songs... "Lie" for example.
I have yet to try an AN7 but would like to get that as a neck p/u for another 7-string. I'll let ya know how the D-Activator7 compares to an Evo7. I'm also going to buy a D-Sonic7 as a present for a friend's UV777BK... i'll ya know how that sounds like in a few weeks. :)

Reg

#3 ·
I replaced the bridge Blaze, that came stock, in my 7620 with a D Activator 7 and I love it. Perfectly clear on each string on not overly boomy on the low string,(I tune the low B to A). Just enough boost too.

I like the dark tonality of the Blaze neck pickup but if you're looking for something with a bit more clarity I can understand switching out to the Air Norton. Hard to go wrong with that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.