Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Recommend me some pups for an 1527

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Gurj 
#1 ·
Getting a used 1527 Prestige (the older one with the sparkly black finish).

It has the standard Ibz pups which are not bad, but a bit over the top bass boost wise.
So I want something more versatile, but I have no clue.
I was thinking Blaze perhabs or rather AirNorton7 / ToneZone7 mix?

Shoot me some ideas and what you think would be most versatile combo. (I play from Classic Rock, 80's shred, Gothic Rock to modern metal...)

#2 ·
I have never tried these pickups, but a lot of people are talking that Tone Zone 7 is one of the worst aftermarket 7 string humbuckers ever made. Stock Seymour Duncan JB 7 is nowhere close to its 6 string counterpart as well. Avoid these two and you’re fine.

Generaly DiMarzios go nice with basswood Ibanezes, I’d suggest matching D-Sonic with Air Norton. Set of Blazes would do nice as well I think. Some say PAF7 in the neck and Blaze neck in the bridge sounds nice. Evolution 7 is a very good pickup, people talk, but I don’t know ‘bout its versatility.

I’d say go Duncan Custom in the bridge and Jazz Model in the neck, but its just me – I prefer SDs over DiMarzios.

#4 ·
you don't want the TZ-7 in basswood. you'll want the blaze custom. i use the TZ-7 in mahogany and it sounds great, but the blaze custom...is just an extraordinary pickup, regardless of body wood. i have it in basswood and mahogany. the AN-7 is just a spectacular neck pickup. great body to the tone of that pickup and coil taps incredibly. clean tones with the split 5 is gorgeous as well. i have a regular blaze neck in my rg7321 and it cannot touch the AN-7 in my rg7620 and both guitars have blaze customs.

rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.