Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Buying a Camera

4K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  megadeth 
#1 ·
People,

Firstly, I would like to blame threads like ''Photography" that I now have decided to buy a digital SLR.
I am thinking nikon d80 and a up to 300mm lens. Sadly, I am constrained by budget and d80 is the best I can probably afford.

My primary purpose is to shoot some nice pictures of my pregnant wife and upcoming baby and then venture into the world of photography and post some pics here. :p

Can anyone please give me some more suggestions on buying a camera/ feedback on d80 and some links to websites where I can learn more about lens and all the technical mumbo jumbo. :)

Thanks,
Kanishk

#2 ·
Congrats on the pregnancy!

hehe, there is at least one other long thread regarding purchases. What is your body budget? lens budget?

The D80 (like any dSLR amost) is capable of nice pics in the right hands (see other threads) but it's not a camera to overspend on today. It's older and slow and it's noisy in the dark and still a CCD sensor.. nikon has since done ALOT ALOT ALOT better. Canon always has, and is a better buy at that price range imho (many choices).

Decent review here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

#3 ·
Thanks!

I cannot spend more than 900 USD and I don't mind if I don't get a 300mm lens. 200mm would do just fine (I think).

I think I am a little overwhelmed by the information. :O
What camera can you guys suggest in that budget?

Thanks,
Kanishk

#4 ·
I don't know anything about Nikon but if you went with Canon for $900.00 I would get a D30 kit like this to get you started. http://www.adorama.com/ICA30DKR.html?searchinfo=30d&item_no=18 $699.00 with kit lens.
Then a 75-300 consumer lens like this.... (if you really want 300mm) http://www.adorama.com/CA75300AFR.html?searchinfo=75-300mm&item_no=3 $119.00
The glass is entry level but still capable of VERY nice photos. It would get you started until you know what you really need or want.
If you like a smaller camera body, (and some people do) look at the Canon XTI or the new soon to be released XSI. Both very nice cameras.

#5 ·
amazing at the prices... what Rotti said that kit lens is a great setup $1200 only a few months ago.

if you don't want the best deal but want to walk into a local store and hand your credit card to a teenager then go with the Canon Rebel XTi

here is a refurb XTi for example
http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTIBR.html?searchinfo=Refurbished By Canon&item_no=24

a new model XSi is coming out, so the XTi is dropping in price.

The "kit" lenses for $50 are worth it you can add a longer lens later.

The kit 18-55 is like a film 29-88mm zoom lens. remember that 300mm lens is 480mm in film camera equivalence looking thru the viewfinder. (these dSLRs Nikon or Canon mentioned crop the image 1.6x giving a different field of view that appears 1.6x longer with 1.6x more depth of field). that is confusing but just realize the 17-55 looking thru the viewfinder is like a 29-88mm lens... glen

#6 ·
In December I bought a D80 off of the bay from a company out of NYC. It took about ten days to get here. I love it. I only paid about $930.00 us and got free shipping. It is by far the best camera I have ever had. This is my first Digital SLR, I got the three lenses and a camera bag that the camera won't even fit in....lol........I gave the bag to my daughter........All I can say is, you will like the Nikon D80 I'm pretty sure..............everyone who has looked at mine an used it says its the best they have seen for that price.............I did look at some cannons and they seem like a good deal too though................

#8 ·
I agree with Glen. If you don't want to overspend, get the Rebel XTi. For the money, you get a nice camera that can produce some nice pictures. I personally went with the 40D for the wife's pregnancy. I am pretty pleased with the camera and the quality of pictures it produces.

Let us know what you wind up buying Megadeth and congrats on the baby!

Jimmy:smile:

#9 ·
Any recent dSLR is a HUGE upgrade in terms of speed of operation, picture quality, etc. from a point/shooter. It's just that you don't want to splurge when you don't need to and see no tangible benefit. I mean the 30D runs circles around the D80 (at $300 less now) but not if you're clumsy with the Canon "system" and have 2 Nikon film lenses. If you have Pentax lenses you like then well, buy a Pentax.

The dRebel offers $$$ left over for a nice flash (ie. ex420) also which is quite useful with kit lenses and such :) ...glen

#11 ·
30D runs circles around D80 how? D80 has better metering (RGB matrix, spot linked to current focusing point), better flash system (wireless flash doesn't require any extra accessories, camera works as a commander), better viewfinder (0.94x on a bigger crop) and better kit lens. As if this wasn't enough, D80 also has 2 extra megapixels (not that it matters much).

#17 ·
XSI sounds like a good choice. As for the lens I'm sure everyone will tell you it depends on what you plan on shooting. If you buy the XSI with the kit lens, I think it's the 18-55 IS, that would be a good start till you figure what your needs are. You probably are not going to want a 75-300 as your only lens unless you plan on buying several. Canon L series are the best, but you can get other great, canon and sigma lenses among others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.