Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Cleaning a JS 10th - I've never done it before...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  satch 
#1 ·
Hey

I've checked out Rich's "used guitar primer" and read how he suggest to clean guitars... after I read it, I've realized that my JS 10'th has seen better days... But I've never ever done anything like that on a guitar. I'd hate to do anything wrong, specially to this guitar. Should I go for it myself, og should I take it to a pro guitar tech? Is it possible top really screw things up?

#2 ·
Cleaning a JS 10th

The biggest concern should be for the finish, and trying to not make it any worse than it already is. The best thing I've found, and I'm sure Rich will agree, is a sunglass lens cloth from Sunglass Hut or any optician's shop. They're usually made of a high-quality, ultra-soft, lint-free cloth which won't scratch the finish too badly. As a polish, you need something completely non-abrasive. The clear, pump-spray Dunlop polish seems to work pretty well for me. But, when in doubt, use spit. It works!

As for cleaning the trem, fingerboard, etc- Rich's primer is very thorough. Ya just need to pay extra attention to the finish, since it is delicate and prone to easy scratching and scuffing.

#4 ·
Cleaning a JS 10th

Carefull is the word of the day. All the work is done with the neck off so the body is handled as little as possible, when you disasemble just make sure your hands are clean and where you place the body is soft. I wouldn't touch the head chrome or the body chrome with anything but the softest cloth and spit, and do not *rub*, gently wipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.