Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Fixing Fret Buzz - on only a single note!

Tags
steel wool
9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SalemB 
#1 ·
So, the two MA3s that I play most of the time both have a single note that buzz.  On the one, it's the 7th fret on the high e and on the other it's the 12th fret on the high e.

What is the best way to cure this?  If the fret were coming unseated the other strings would probably buzz at that fret, right?  I don't own any fret files but I have plenty of steel wool.  Should I rub down the 8th and 13th frets?

Thanx, Rich

#2 ·
Fixing Fret Buzz

Considering it's only the high e I would definately check close for it popped up. Press down on the edge of the fret and looking very closely note any movement. (use a piece of wood to press down with so you can really press) If there's any movement it needs to be glued down. If not it needs to be shaved just until the choking stops, and only under the e string (if you shave it under the b then the b will choke on the next fret)

#3 ·
Fixing Fret Buzz

Hmm, the one fret does appear to be coming up. I don't think I'm equipped to glue the fret down myself, so how much should I expect to pay for such a service?

Now I have to find a luthier that I can trust. Hrmm... Anyone know a GOOD luthier in St. Louis?

Thanx, Rich

#4 ·
Fixing Fret Buzz

You're qualified, just run a bead of superglue down each side where it's lifting. Give it about 5-10 seconds to work it's way under then press it down using the same piece of wood and hold it about 2 minites. Now if it's a little high you can shave it down, I use 280 on a popsicle stick which allows plenty of control to remove metal only where you need to.

#6 ·
Fixing Fret Buzz

american masters are MA3's.

They way I glue my frets is, get it clamped down on the edge and use a thin super glue (crazy glue is ****, buy a good brand from a hobby store, Zap is probably the best on the market) and take a pin or something, get some glue on the pin (just dip it in the glue) and touch it to the end of the fret, it will wick down into the fret, under the fret, down the tang, everywhere, you don't risk getting glue all over everything. Be careful you don't clamp the rising fret to hard though, it is possible to embed it into the fretboard and then it's to low, just clamp until it looks tight to the board, you can press it in by hand and glue it, but I find your hand moves to much, you can make a simple clamping caul out of a block of maple, or ever pine if you want, it's only got to clamp one or two frets so it doesn't really need to last long.

Jeremy

#8 ·
Fixing Fret Buzz

I just had a memory flashback and remembered how my model airplanes used to look after I had glued them together. There used to be more glue than plastic visible. That was 20 years ago and I haven't glued anything since.
You might say it's easy but I will not be attempting any procedure involving glue on my guitars. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.