Ibanez JEM Forum banner

7620 as 6-string baritone? or restring my RG570?

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Flobanez 
#1 ·
I picked up 7620 and I don't plan to pursue the 7-string style. So I've strung it as
x B E A D F# B, and I'm liking the tuning. This works when I play Journey songs -- I can change the key and sing the songs without changing fingerings.

A friend suggested stringing my extra RG570 this way instead. Will the gages of the
B E A D F# B strings hurt my guitar in any way?

I looked at the baritone guitar market, and I was underwhelmed. I saw no 6-string baritone guitar that had better bang for the buck than my 7620.

Thanks, Gang,
Jerry

#2 ·
No if you have your guitar set up properly there is no reason why stringing your RG570 will cause any problems. You will need to adjust the truss rod and the trem etc... if you are unsure how to do it probably ask someone at your local guitar store.

I'd be more worried about hurting your 7 string by stringing it up with 6 strings, its a neck designed for the extra tension of a 7th string and by stringing it with 6 and leaving it that way it will probably warp and if left that way for an extended period of time will render the neck useless... Now that my not bother you but as a guy whose been looking for a 7620 it bothers me... Why don’t you just string it with 7 strings and not use the high E because that’s all your doing at the moment.

#3 ·
x B E A D F# B ???
<scratching head>

You still have a low B in there. And why drop G half a step down to F#? Journey songs? Is this tuning to make power chords easier? It's interesting but I don't understand why you don't just string 'er up like normal with the low B on top.

#4 ·
I'm not trying to be critical here, but it baffles me as to why you would buy a 7 string and tune it to 6 string B standard (almost) before you'd at least TRY tuning a 6 string down that low. I've tuned 6 strings and 7 strings to B for a while now... and if I want to use 6 strings, I'm going to use a 6 string because they hold B just fine.

#7 · (Edited)
I thought baritone guitars were more defined by there scale length and tuning rather than simply tuning alone? Having a 25.5 inch guitar tuned down 3 steps is just silly, not only would you need retardedly thick strings but I don't even think it would sound that great.

check this out:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3500.html

at 28" you could tune this thing down another 2 1/2 steps and it would sound killer. You could do some serious Meshuggah chugging on it.

#12 ·
Having a 25.5 inch guitar tuned down 3 steps is just silly, not only would you need retardedly thick strings but I don't even think it would sound that great.

check this out:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3500.html

at 28" you could tune this thing down another 2 1/2 steps and it would sound killer. You could do some serious Meshuggah chugging on it.
Nah, trust me. I've even tuned strats down to A standard on several occasions, and granted that you know how to play that low (and on bigger strings, obviously), you should sound good.

But, that 28"er is pretty sweet!

#10 ·
^^^
THANK YOU!
Waste of a would be wicked model of guitar.

Mike570 what hes gone and done is tuned exactly the way you would if you dropped a 6 string down to B standard. Its the 'On Paper' way to tune that low, but why hes gone and done this i'll never know...I mean he had B standard on that thing to start with.

The more i think about this the more this question/treatment of a descent 7 string deserved some serious face palm

#14 ·
Haha, Amen to that. I should have clarified by saying that the strat in question is equipped with a JB in the bridge. Either way though - the only serious issue IS the need to file down the nut, but I found that if you file it to fit .056 to .012, you can somehow string the guitar up with a .070 to .013/.012 set without any trouble. And oh yes, it sounds huge on most guitars I've tuned that way.

But, in regards to the issues at hand - a locking nut (such as that on a 570) will accomodate a .070 guage or heavier... not that jerrye777 has any intention of playing on cables like that, but it is implied that he can use anything lighter with no issues. But as a warning: anything above .068 has a **** load of trouble fitting into the tuning pegs of most stock Ibanez guitars..... and does anyone have a good way of saying Ibanez, but in plural form? Ibanezes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.