Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Is it worth it to build your own computer?

Tags
quad core
5K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  newbieguitarmaker 
#1 ·
Can you guys that built your own tell me how much something with the new quad cores would cost?

#5 ·
This a great idea if you can't do it yourself, there are some websites that do this too. I don't know any, but my sister and her husband had a computer built for them and they seem quite pleased with it.

Either way you do it, it's better than buying a computer where everything is decided for you.

#7 ·
It really isn't as worthwhile as it once was unless you want something really specialized or high end. You can get a pretty dirt cheap one for what most people use them for. Now if you want a high end, super gaming/graphics type thing where only a couple of very specialized companies produce them in low numbers, it may very well be cheaper to build it yourself. If you want something for a word processor, to check e-mail, and maybe a couple small things, probably just as well to buy one.

#8 ·
I've built the last four or five desktops I've owned from the ground up. I would say, for the most part, it's always been worth it. The nearly limitless selection of components from which the prospective builder has to choose is pretty amazing, and that variety in a vast swath of price points makes pinpointing what it is that you're trying to achieve really simple. If you want a high-end gaming machine, most of your money is going to go to your RAM, processor, and video card (which will no doubt be the single most pricey component in your box). Anyway, the best overall advantage (to me) of building my own systems is that my systems are completely free of all of that extraneous "crap-ware" or "bloat-ware" that come pre-installed (and are surprisingly difficult to remove) on those cheap "complete" systems you see at Costco and whatnot for $300. There's a reason why those are so cheap, and a lot of it has to do with the amount of "advertising" that comes on them. If that's not a major concern for you, and you're just looking for a tinker box that you can use as a basic computer, then one of those off the shelf boxes will work just fine for you.

Not me, though...the advantages and selection (and the "fun" of actually building your own machine) far outweigh the perceived low cost of those ready-to-run units...even the HP's, Dells, etc. Just my opinion, of course.

Bottom line, you can build yourself a really solid all-purpose computer with current specs for under $700, and it will blow most off-the-shelf units right out of the sky. It might not be stuffed with the absolute cream of the crop of high-end components, but it will be a very serviceable and stable platform for you, capable of handling everything you throw at it.

#9 ·
I'm into 3d and graphics so I would love to jump on the quad core train. I'm seeing a big price difference in the motherboards. Looks like the processor, a nice video card, and Ram can really add up. Would it be a better deal to get a refurbished quad from Tiger Direct?

#12 ·
Do you mean 3d and graphics like in games? Then you probably could better get a dual core. Since, with the dual cores the speed of the individual cores are higher. That's more important for games than multiple cores, since the games won't be able to use all the cores.

If you however mean your into video/photo/sound editing and stuff like that, get a quad core.

Now, if budget doesn't matter: Get the fastest quad core cpu you can find!!

#18 ·
Whoops I missed your post.

Who's knows if there's even any room in that crappy proprietary dell case to add that stuff, looks tiny, plus you might have to upgrayedd (hehe) the power supply, god knows its probably just barely enough to handle what in it already, and 2GB of Ram, yikes, not enough, if its even upgradeable with those crappy proprietary dell motherboards. These are the details Dell leaves out on purpose, and if you call to ask I bet you they will do anything to avoid them. So when you build it yourself, for around the same price, you can avoid these headaches.

#15 ·
Always worth it to build your own in my opinion; however, there are downfalls if you aren't experienced. I usually save lots of money on all the builds I do for others or myself but when there are unforeseen problems you have to be ready.

Another thing is, you don't really have tech support on a custom built pc. Yet, tech support in general is horrible. One time my friend went to "Brand Name" tech support and she was completely unprofessional. They had an online chat where she could see all his computer and she was cussing and doing all these checks and tests that ended up going nowhere.

#16 ·
Always worth it to build your own in my opinion; however, there are downfalls if you aren't experienced. I usually save lots of money on all the builds I do for others or myself but when there are unforeseen problems you have to be ready.

Another thing is, you don't really have tech support on a custom built pc. Yet, tech support in general is horrible. One time my friend went to "Brand Name" tech support and she was completely unprofessional. They had an online chat where she could see all his computer and she was cussing and doing all these checks and tests that ended up going nowhere.
when you build them for others, you tend to become their tech support :)

#19 ·
Lefty, the case has plenty of room for everything... 2GB is not a good argument there is typically 4 slots on their larger frame PC mobo's. The details are 100% available before ordering.

When you geek out a DIY PC you often over pay for things you never will need or realize a benefit from.

I know some of you take pride in mocking on Dell and whatnot but you'll have a solid PC to customize to meet your needs, have a licensed OS AND also most importantly have several hundred $$$ in your pocket with the same level of PC than DIY (and have a warranty) ;) ... glen

#23 ·
I must disagree it would definitely not fit my components and I payed about 900 dollars for my pc. Has higher cpu, much better mobo and ram/more of it, 3 hd's 2 in raid one was from an old pc, Dvd burner, floppy and 10 usb ports. 8800gts (G92) 800watt psu with a nice big cpu cooler that I at first thought wouldn't fit in my case, it happens to be taller than the case is wide for that certain one. My cpu runs at 34C on average with overclocking ;)

My friend had that exact pc case cause his mom worked for Dell and it couldn't hold an upgrade to a 400 watt psu

I have never overpayed or gotten components I don't need on my pc's and yes it is worth it to the extent of your own knowledge to DIY.

#28 ·
check dell.com not the vendor site for specs.

you're almost double the cost
and getting like 6x better computer. I went to the dell site, although it does give you more into, not much more though, like what kind of motherboard is it, and how fast is its FSB? Does it support Dual Channel Memory, and ouch, only up to 4gb or Ram? A 300 watt power supply is so bare minimum, you start adding in more hard drives and graphics cards you have to upgrade that power supply, and is it even upgradable to a non-dell proprietary product? If he's going to be running Maya he needs a really good computer.

Yeah, I know its just an example but if your going to have dell build a computer to match those spec's or even come close, it will be equal if not more.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=productdetails~xpsdt_730

It even beats that, and thats what, like $1600? And thats not even a Quad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.