Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Brightness

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Devon8822 
#1 ·
Why exactly do Ibanez guitars sound so bright... i think mainly the older models. My 1990 JEM, and the other Ibanezs I have tried from the same era are so bright, making it less than ideal for jazz. is it the locking nut? its almost unplayable unplugged, and in order to obtain a good clean tone you have to EQ out the highs. Is this consistent with you guys too?

#4 ·
It's the PAF Pros inthe 90's that make them bright. They are brighter versions of the PAF. I took the Evos out of my Jem and put in Bartolinis, and now it's a better jazz guitar than my FA-100 ('78 ES-175 copy). Swap out the pickups for warmer ones, and you'll be good to go.

#8 ·
As others have said, the JEM is a bright guitar and was designed to be a bright guitar, which might not be ideal for jazz, but is ideal for rock, especially when the signal path is heavily processed as it almost always was arounf the time we're talking about. Thus an overly bright guitar for jazz is a shimmering texture monster when it's fed through 2 eventides and a TC2290 ;)

Horses for courses! But yeah as Jim said, put in some nice, warm, jazz pickups and off you go :D

#11 ·
I am not talking about the pickups, they are fine, I am talking about its natural tone. When I compare it unplugged to a strat or a gibson, the jem is very bright. It is great plugged in but acoustically it is pretty horrible. anybody else notice this when played acoustically?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.