Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Price of a 2nd hand Jem BSB?

Tags
bsb jem price
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  mikeyoc 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Someone I know is selling an Jem BSB (UK) and was quoting prices somewhere in the region of £1,500 quid for it. This kinda made me think he's asking for stupid money.

I can see the retail of a new BSB from this site was $2,000 which at the time in the UK would have been nearly bang on £1000.
As the price of the £ has fallen recently import costs seem to have gone through the roof and places are selling 7VWHs and the like for £2000 when 2 months ago they cost £1,500

He seems to be happy to compare the quality of the BSB with a new 77VBK or a 7VWH which I do not think is accurate.
In people's opinion how much is a second hand BSB worth?
I can't comment on quality of the instrument in question but I know they are liable to the finish getting damaged because there is no top coat.

I offered £750 which I thought was generous for a low spec second hand Jem but kinda got laughed at. Apparently it's "special and rare".

Paul

See less See more
#3 ·
Tru dat... I didn't factor in shipping margins and profit etc... I'm sure it would have been more than £1000 new like you said.

Thing is it's not incredibly high spec, it's not new and it'll most likely be warped in colour by now and the matt finish a bit tarnished.

I bought my near mint 7VSBL for £800, there is no way I'd pay that or more for a BSB!

Cheers

Paul

#6 ·
Ant1, the BSB isn't a 77, it's a 7 like the VWH.
Also when you criticise a 77V, be careful because i've got a 7VWH (Ebony) and a 77VBK the new black body, reflective pick gaurd and vine inlay on the neck and I'd say it plays on a par to the VWH.

Most people who have tried it prefer it infact.
Although nothing plays as well as my VSBL :D

Cheers for the reply ibanez777vbk, I think it's just a matter of pride and the fact the guitar is "his baby". He wont refuse to part it with for less than a grand which is a shame because I would use it at gigs.

#8 ·
I've seen them sell for £400. Which really angered me as I'd just pissed about £500 down the drain on general bits. (Never miss a train when you're going a very long way, £100 taxi fare is not cool :p)

I'm planning on getting one mid-year (hopefully there'll be one on the bay) I'm willing to pay anywhere from £400 (that's being a bit hopeful though) to £800, they generally go anywhere between there.

#10 ·
I bought my BSB for £599. It had been played a lot. The green finish had completely gone from the neck. And it had a few little dings etc - but nothing major. I dont mind because I can trrow this one around more than the others. the thing with the BSB is that they were supposed to be blue when they first came out - which is why they are called BSB and not BSG! But over time the finish comes off. Everytime I play mine I end up with green fingers :) and I have cleaned the frets with lemon oil. So basically If you can get one what hasnt been played much you will end up paying £150 - £300 more.
People like the BSB because its unique and it has quite a harsh sound because the body has no finish? also its quite light compared with other Jems.
I have to agree with D1m3b4g2. Although I like the BSB, its no SBL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.