Ibanez JEM Forum banner

usb ports not working ???

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jb4674 
#1 ·
hi lads.theres something up with the usb ports on my pc.when i plug my ipod in or digital camera in nothings happening,normaly when i plug ipod in the pc makes a noise,meaning that the usb port has reconized the ipod.all of a sudden usb ports dont reconise anything ??? my son has been playing on pc all weekend he must of done something.i need to get this sorted quick as i cant live without ipod :) cheers folks.rob

#2 ·
What OS are you using?

Go to the device manager and see if there are any devices with an exclamation mark next of them or a question mark next to them. If everything looks fine, plug in your ipod and see what happens in the device manager when you plug it in. You mightg have to delete all the usb devices and reboot so that the machine can pick them up again.

Another thing worth checking is to see what letters (if any) are being assigned to your devices. If the letters that the devices want are already being used, that might be the reason why you can't see them.

Jimmy:smile:

#3 ·
What OS are you using?

Go to the device manager and see if there are any devices with an exclamation mark next of them or a question mark next to them. If everything looks fine, plug in your ipod and see what happens in the device manager when you plug it in. You mightg have to delete all the usb devices and reboot so that the machine can pick them up again.

Another thing worth checking is to see what letters (if any) are being assigned to your devices. If the letters that the devices want are already being used, that might be the reason why you can't see them.

thanks jim.when im on device management and plug in ipod i get this message.one of the usb devices has malfunctioned and windows doesnt reconize it.wtf is that all about.ive followed the troubleshoot thingy,but its dirt complicated

#4 ·
try this for starters...
go to device manager again, and right click on EVERY usb and click DELETE! delete them all !! close everything and restart the machine. when windows comes back it will reinstall them automatically, refreshing them. if you have XP pro, it will work great, win2k, will see them too but i have seen with win2k, you may need to install them again manually.... with drivers...rare. if XP, do it. another thing i thought of, and i doubt this, is the usb ports could be disabled in the bios. again, probably not the case, unless your son goes there. who knows.

Steve

#5 ·
All of the above is true. Try them first.

Where are the ports on your pc?

If they are on the front there is a chance that the connector wire has popped off.
If they are on the back near the PCI and other expansion slots it is possible that some heavy handed swapping could have shifted them in their slot.

#13 ·
Glad you got that sorted.

Usually when I have these issues it is because something has moved in a port. This is because my best mate (who taught me everything I know about pcs) doesn't allow me ever to use more than one screw when installing new bits, and shotgun rules dictate tht I must obey.

Then there was a time when managed to flick the voltage change siwtch instead of the off switch when power a pc down once and got loud bangs and blue flashes. Great days. Remember kids, always drink beer when fixing things.

#16 ·
I'm assuming you're getting these error messages:

Now, try this...

Shut down the computer. Once it's shut down, unplug the power cable from the power supply first, then unplug it from the wall and let it sit for a few minutes. After a few minutes, plug the cable back into the power supply and then into the wall, start the pc and the problem should be fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.