Ibanez JEM Forum banner

guitar picks

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Homebake 
#1 ·
what guage guitar picks do you guys prefer for styles like satriani, van halen, soloing, shreding, hardrock 80s? what seems to work the best for you?

#13 ·
I tried those but they were too think for me to use while soloing. If I did just straight forward rythmn, I could go that thick. The .88mm gives me solid force and just a tad flex so it isn't like hitting the string with steel. Although I do have a pick made out of a quarter and mashed into a tear drop shape.

#15 ·
When I was in high school (About to date myself) in the 80's I found these Gibson Heavy picks that were in a heart shape. I used these for years. Nothing else seemed to fit right. They became harder and harder to find. Several years ago, my wife found a bag online. I thought I was set for a couple of years. Now that I'm about out, I realized that my treasured pick of choice was about to be a thing of the past.

So I got to trying some different picks a came to the conclusion that I've been an idiot for more than 20 years. The Gibson picks are crap. Pick slides groove the hell out of them, they're cheap plastic, and really no better than the freebie picks you get a guitar store.

So realizing how stupid I am has really helped open my mind to try other picks.

I'll have to give the .88's a go and see if they are more to my liking.

Geoff

#17 ·
Usually one of the three Jazz III's. Most often the Ultex, but I prefer the Stiffo (black) ones for a clean tone as they get a trebly tone which isnt as sharp as the ultex.

I have various other picks of various sizes and shapes, from good ol' tortex, stubbies (1mm and 3mm), Paul Gilbert Ibby picks and Vai Ibby picks (I had to see what they were like.), these cheap green jazz III but not quite things, Gibson teardrops, etc.

Jazz III's are still the most efficient and comfortable pick I've ever had. People often don't like thier small size (and neither did I at first) but I think it's something they should put up with. I'm sure I am more comfortable with a bigger pick than the average player is with a smaller pick, and smaller picks seem to be more precise, controlable and have a nicer tone/attack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.