Ibanez JEM Forum banner

A question for all JS junkies

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  slade 
#1 ·
Since I bought my JS1000 two years ago I have also bought several other electric guitars. To name a few: Fender 1954 RI Strat, Ibanez SV-470, Ibanez RG-550, Ibanez AS-80. They're all neat, but none of them feel as magical in my hands as the JS. What I absolutely love about the JS:

1. It is just dripping with the most gorgeous harmonics and feedback
2. The body lays against my body as comfortable as a soft blanket
3. The neck is the greatest thing I've ever felt, including flawless access to higher frets
4. The Fred and Paf Pro combo is the greatest thing I've ever heard

I really am this much in love with it, and after trying so many other guitars I am appreciating it on a whole new level. (The only guitar that comes close is my Ibanez SV-470 which has an S body with a Viper neck. It reminds me of the JS in many ways which is why that is my second favorite.)

QUESTION: Who else here feels the way I do about the JS?

At this point I foresee just buying used JS models for the rest of my life and just using different pickups in each one for different musical applications. Is this why so many of you buy multiple JS guitars? At first I thought it was just a collectors kind of thing, but do many of you buy them because it really is your favorite guitar to play?

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, i have to disagree, first its all about what you use to, jem, js , s ,an on ,for me
jem do'es it all, sound neck n'on n'on, i do own few jems two js and rg, i like jem the most
why? i'm so use to jem neck that its faster and i guess widder, js will be better fo a small hands and the other way around, but don't get me rong here fellow you can't go rong with any js, i do own two models (90th and 1000wh) i've never play them i'm not use to them, im thinking on sell'n them, to add more jems to my collection.

#5 ·
Couldn't agree more with the original poster. The JS(100 in my case) is just "my" guitar. I've been playing for 20 years, but it wasn't until I got my first JS100 that I found a guitar that fit me perfectly and played itself. I have 5 JS100s, 3 from 2003 and 1 from 2004 that are just stunning (definitely the best period) and an older one that I've customised. New pickups in each (Fred and PAF Joe in one, Breed pair in one, D-Sonic and Air Norton in two and a Fred and PAF Pro pair in the fifth) and they're just so versatile. I use them for everything. I'm considering getting an LP-shaped guitar just for something different and to facilitate easy alternate tunings, but other than that I just don't need another guitar (except maybe a couple more JS100s - would love to find an Atlantic Blue one!)

#6 ·
I'm with you. I had several mid to upper level quality guitars before I got my JS and I haven't wanted another guitar since. Lately, I've been thinking of selling the other guitars I currently own (but never play) and picking up a used JS or 2 (maybe only 100s with Edge Pro II bridges on my budget) and switching out pickups. I guess I'm in the same boat as the OP because it is simply the most comfortable guitar for me and sounds fantastic.

#8 ·
Glad to see some feel like I do!

This leads me to another question about the topic: How does the JS work with high output pickups? I particularly love the lead tone I get from a Super Distortion in the bridge in another basswood guitar, so I may try one in a future JS.

Also, how does the JS100 stack up to the 1000 series? I guess the dimensions/feel would be about the same, but what about tone and harmonics?

#11 ·
Definitely, there's no doubt that the 1000 is more consistently well made. It also feels slightly lighter, and the neck is different. Some will say better, but for me the JS100 neck feels more natural in my hands, probably because I'm a very different size and shape to Mr Satriani! The Edge III on the current JS100 is also a retrograde step compared with the Edge II on my favourite era of JS100. Both have the issue of the trem arm being tightened by means of a grub screw, which tears into the arm and becomes loose after a while - the "proper" bridge on the JS1000 is a superior design. But the JS100 represents excellent value for money, particularly if you're on a budget, buy used and manage to get one from round about 2003-04 :)

#10 ·
i love the js guitars too, particularly the js6/1600 due to it being a fixed bridge. these guitars have an amazing sound, but it's the neck that really endears the js series to me. it's funny that you mention the viper neck because that was the closest neck profile to the js. they feel very similar and were on several models back in '92, including the sv series, rt series and rv series. the rv series was basically a radius with a viper neck, but these guitars did not have an edge or any sort of double locking trem. they are stellar guitars, built in the fugigen factory. anyway, i have much love for the js series.

#12 ·
I have played electric guitar for 25 years now (since 13 years old). I toured the eastern US professionally in an all original rock group on an independent label. I have played and recorded with A LOT of electric guitars (more than I would ever want to own) from friends with lots of guitars and studio instruments to working (for years) and hanging around at music stores. My point is that I am experienced but don't get me wrong I am far from the best. I am a guitar player not a builder, collector, tech, nor seller but I do have some skill outside of playing. Anyway...

Current electric guitars I own:
1989 Ibanez 540S (HSS, Original Edge)
1993 Fender American Strat (Custom Solid Bacote wood neck)
2008 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS
2008 Ibanez JS1000bp (Fred, PAFPro, Edge Pro)
2008 Ibanez JS1000btb (MoJoe, PafJoe, Edge Pro) - coming soon from Rich at ibanezRules

What instrument do I play the most?
JS1000, and I love it. For the same reasons as originally posted.

1. It is just dripping with the most gorgeous harmonics and feedback
2. The body lays against my body as comfortable as a soft blanket
3. The neck is the greatest thing I've ever felt, including flawless access to higher frets
4. The Fred and Paf Pro combo is the greatest thing I've ever heard
I describe my JS1000bp sort of like a Fender Strat meets a PRS or Les Paul with a Floyd Rose and unique electronics, but to me its more comfortable and very balanced. I bought it used here on the the jemsite forum and I am excited to finally buy a JS from Rich.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.