Classifieds vs. auctions - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Classifieds vs. auctions

I've noticed lately that more and more people advertising in the classifieds here aren't stating prices. "Make an offer" and "highest offer by [xx date] gets it."

When did the Jemsite classifieds turn into an ad-hoc auction site? It seems to run contrary to the spirit of the community here. If you have a price in mind, you should state it up front, and don't go "fishing" for the highest bid. That's what [email protected] is for.

If you do want to entertain offers, at least state a price and then "or best offer". That way, if somebody wants to pay the asking price, they can, and the deal is closed. Open-ended, behind-closed-doors "bidding" on an item you have for sale isn't an open and honest way to sell.

Am i the only one who feels this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Vendor

Re: Classifieds vs. auctions

No, you aren't alone. With rare exception everything has been "best offer"/"accepting offers". Sellers know how much they want to get for something, they just don't have the balls to state it, hoping some idiot will offer them the moon instead.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Gets my vote. Classifieds should have a price, but I think that or "or best offer" is acceptable, or "accepting offer" is the item hasn't shifted.

I've also noticed the increase in dodgy looking ads from newbies with no location stated and very little detail. Buyer beware obviously, but would it be unreasonable to remove ads that do not state location? (as per the rules)
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Perhaps some people dont know how much to ask for their item(s) and dont want to give a price that might be much lower than what someone will pay for it.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:17 PM

I completely agree with you Darren. State your price, take less if you want and let people offer, but state a price. The "just seeing what I can get for it" posts should go in the bay, that's what it's for.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss
Perhaps some people dont know how much to ask for their item(s) and dont want to give a price that might be much lower than what someone will pay for it.

Then they should put it on **** at let it sell to the highest bidder!!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I have to say I'm not opposed to folks putting, "best offer gets it" and letting natural selection take its course.

In all truth does anyone actually ever seriously even consider those adverts?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
I have to say I'm not opposed to folks putting, "best offer gets it" and letting natural selection take its course.

In all truth does anyone actually ever seriously even consider those adverts?
Probably not, so they just fill up the forum un-necessarily.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

i hear you, but there is no way to mandate a price (or location) before the ad is posted. If there was, i'd require the price. As a result, you'd have to delete the ads/threads... so then a newcomer emails every moderator asking "why was my ad deleted".

the classifieds traffic and newbies who might stay/contribute later on. i don't see the problem ignoring certain sellers and buying/selling only to those whom you are familiar with. YMMV.

I have considered requring to be LOGGED-IN to view the classifieds, but ultimately that also stops nothing... glen
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Sellers know how much they want to get for something, they just don't have the balls to state it, hoping some idiot will offer them the moon instead.
i also think it's a rash overgeneralization to think anyone not listing a price is hoping for "some idiot" to buy.

what is worse... a listing with no price, a romanoff listing or a listing with a slightly inflated price where the seller expects to be negotiated down 10%.

by this discussion, you guys really are looking talking about wanting FIXED PRICE, no room to negotiate prices, which is unrealistic... glen
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I have no problem if someone says, "I'd like to get $XXXX, but i'm willing to negotiate."

Where the "best offer gets it" ads are different is that they're hoping to get the price jacked up, whereas someone who's willing to negotiate is willing to come down from their asking price.

If you're a seller who wants top-dollar on your gear, put it on [email protected] with a reserve price. If the market will pay what you're asking, you'll get your asking price and more. I still maintain that behind-closed-doors "auctions" in the Jemsite classifieds are something the community should not support. There have only been a couple of instances so far, and i think it's a good time for the moderators/admin to nip them in the bud and add it to the rules.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
site founder 0% owner

thing is, many buyers/sellers have been scared away from ****... this is also why people pay resellers/brokers much higher price than joe-anonymous in smalltown KY. i don't hear any resellers complaing about this

I haven't noticed any "auctions", but assuming a few are in place here... want do you want added... something like this...

* no posting "best offers" without attaching a fixed base price

or this

* no posting "auction" or "auction-like" listings where offers will be accepted until a certain date.

'cause it seems you guys are complaing about a few different sales tactics... glen
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Wouldn't it be simple just to mandate that all ads must include an asking price? Whatever other conditions/offers they want to include would then not be as much of an issue.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

who wants to be in charge of pm/emailing every seller who fails to post a price? ...glen
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
who wants to be in charge of pm/emailing every seller who fails to post a price? ...glen
Glen you giving Mod status to this person?

Tags
darren wilson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to win auctions with goofbay

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode