Cyber Jemfest? - Forum Topic Suggestion. - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Cyber Jemfest? - Forum Topic Suggestion.

I'm sure some of you at least have noticed this thread.

I posted about the idea that these sort of things might become a regular occurrence on Jemsite, sort of a Cyber Jemfest, or something. (Then again Cyber "Jemfest" kind of sounds like my guitars are not welcome ) Anyway, I talked to a few other Forumites who shared my opinion that this would be a good idea. At the request of some others, it is not a "contest."

The reason I'm suggesting a new topic area, is because this kind of thing floats between theory/technique and Multimedia.

Ideas so far include:
  • Contributors can create backing tracks and upload them on a regular basis. (e.g., once every three weeks, once a month, etc.). I'm not sure if we would name contributors, or if anyone would be able to upload backings.
  • Anyone can submit their solos, and anyone can post constructive criticisms.
  • I doubt this will happen, but maybe Glen could find some adequate webspace for these kinds of "things" (for lack of a better word - can't call it a competition or contest...), so that it would be easier to upload files, Instead of asking Jay to share some of his webspace! :laugh:

• From Chris: At the end of each "thing" (this implies the necessity of a deadline), someone would be responsible for mixing all the solos together into one big "jam" (hence the concept of it being an online Jemfest ). A few well-respected and unbiased Forumites would be named judges to award a "winner" (not in a very competitive sense though) whose solo would be mixed last in the "song," as a climax. Unfortunately, I think this would require that the judges refrain from submitting...
  • Sudden spontaneous three-minutes-ago-brainfart: If we go with Chris' idea, then I think it would be cool to release a yearly (bi-yearly?) CD with the mixed-together solos as individual songs.

I would appreciate any input, and of course approval from Glen :biggrin:.

EDIT: Carlo brought up the counter-point that this could easily "degenerate" into a competition - with or without judges. I don't know how this might be averted.

-Justin

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 6:29 pm on Sep. 26, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 07:39 PM

Reviews: 5
Cyber Jemfest?

I think a good way to avoid competition is not to "judge" it at all. *I would suggest just asking one person to mix it to their liking. *We could ask a different member each time just to arrange things to his/her liking.

It should be noted that my idea was not to create competition, but rather to try to make something cohesive out of these little jams we all record

basically, we're going to have to count on a varied amount of rudeness regardless of any judging. *I think the only judging I was hoping for is to see what one person thinks when he mixes things together. *Guys are going to complain and judge others regardless of their involvement in the thread.

FWIW, even when I've been given some pretty harsh criticism, it drove me to practice even more.

(Edited by jem7vwh at 8:55 pm on Sep. 26, 2001)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Cyber Jemfest?

Oops.. When I said judges I was half thinking of a conversation with you, and another with Carlo (about judges - spontaneous brain fart). Sorry about the mixup.

When I said "award" I was a little desperate to find the clearest way to explain what I could remember of your idea.. Obviously official judges weren't a part of it though! :loco:

So replace my fourth list item with Chris' idea.

Quote:
basically, we're going to have to count on a varied amount of rudeness regardless of any judging. *...Guys are going to complain and judge others regardless of their involvement in the thread.
"If men were angels, government would not be necessary." -Thomas Jefferson
If it gets out of hand, we can establish the topic as "heavily moderated," like the Classifieds (if Glen, Kevan, and Kirk are OK with it).

-Justin

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 8:23 pm on Sep. 26, 2001)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 08:26 PM

Cyber Jemfest?

I dig it as long as it's not a competition. If I wanted to compete in online soloing I'd hang out at Guitar War. :biggrin:

Sharing music and ideas is a great idea by me. I'm all for it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Cyber Jemfest?

hehe. I've been to guitarwar before. My oh my... it's totally about speed there. Yuck.

-Justin
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 3
Cyber Jemfest?

Personally... I think a "solo of the month" COMPETITION would be a GOOD idea. *

I think it'd boost the overall moral of the forum.

However, I think the judge idea would be bad. *I think the forum members should be allowed to vote at their leisure for who they think is best. *Votes can be tabulated by either a moderator, Glen, or a volunteer. *

I don't know what the winner could get, maybe just their name written in big leaders in the "headlines" scrolling banner would be enough recognition.

If the contest is only held once monthly and all active Jemsite members are allowed to vote (once per person of course) then I doubt it'd turn into a battle.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 10:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Cyber Jemfest?

I have not followed that thread but this one is interesting.

First, does anyone have FTP space or an alternate area to upload the MUSIC files? There is none available on jemsite or the forum server.

Within a few weeks the forum software *should* have built in POLLS which would work well since there could be anonymous but secure voting and hence no 'hard feelings' or insult hurling.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 10:17 PM

Reviews: 3
Cyber Jemfest?

I can't afford to donate space to people any further for hosting songs... so hopefully the people who really want to get involved can find a way to host the track themselves. *Tripod (etc) accounts are VERY easy to obtain if you want a quick place to host a few MB. *That is one option.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Cyber Jemfest?

My friend just informed me that the Comcast @Home FTP server is insecure. Apparently anyone can gain access, download, and upload and to my knowledge there is no space limit.

Being that it is insecure, it's not the best idea, but who can resist taking advantage of something like that?! What an opportunist I am. :loco:

-Justin

Jay: Aren't all free webspace hosts going the same route -- Anti-MP3?

Glen: Thanks for your support thus far.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Cyber Jemfest?

this thread came to a halt.. Does anyone have any more input, ideas, suggestions, ...?

-Justin
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2001, 04:57 PM

Cyber Jemfest?

ikon has a polling function,

perhaps you could use that??

Steve
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 5
I'm still very into this idea. I know it's been many moons since it was talked about... As it stands right now, I guess the idea is as follows.

* Any member may upload a "backing track" to be played over
* Any member may record their own "vamp" on top of that track
* Members can then post to the main thread for the track a link to their vamp.
* A Poll may be used to tally public opinion

Sound accurate?

If so, then I think it's a completely feasible idea. The only stumbling block is that each person much find his/her own webspace to upload to. I myself have between 5 and 10 mB to fool with- so I'd be willing to help someone out, but otherwise folks are going to have to find their own spot.

Tags
backing track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode