Ebay is rippin' me off... PLEASE HELP!!! - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Ebay is rippin' me off... PLEASE HELP!!!

I've been trying to sell my guitar collection. I posted and sold stuff on eBay, but after seller fees, paypal, and shipping I'm paying more than a third of the value of the instrument just to sell it. Any suggestions on popular places besides craigslist to sell gear? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Ebay is rippin' me off... PLEASE HELP!!!

Yeah--our classified section

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 PM

Doesn't the buyer pay shipping? if you are losing more than a third of the money you might be doing something wrong.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Doesn't the buyer pay shipping? if you are losing more than a third of the money you might be doing something wrong.
My thoughts too. Yo post your price, taking into consideration any fees, then have the buyer pay actual shipping costs. In the end, if done right--you're not losing anything. In fact, you can actually bank some extra.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM

it's pretty sickening isn't it? Fleabay is always geared towards the buyer in favor in every way. I simply do not sell pricey items on there. All guitars go through either craigslist or elsewhere, but all start here first. the only advice on that auction site is to use a reserve, inflate it so that after fees you are getting your asking price, and also suggest a buy it now. The value of the guitar is what you value it as, so some others might see it differently. Sometimes the buyer gets a deal! so to speak. Sorry to hear that you aren't making out on your sales, but in the future come check out the classifieds here on Jemsite. No fees, you set the price and can negotiate if necessary. Buyer can pay shipping, if you ask for it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
My thoughts too. Yo post your price, taking into consideration any fees, then have the buyer pay actual shipping costs. In the end, if done right--you're not losing anything. In fact, you can actually bank some extra.
E bay now includes the shipping charges in the final fee amount. At the same time they are constantly, and I mean constantly, after sellers to lower shipping charges. If you are selling some lower cost items, and do flat rate shipping it can actually COST you money to give away an item On top of that ebay has owned paypal for a while now, so they get you again. Ebay used to be a great place for buyers and sellers, but now it has just become a big rip off. Such a shame.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned

That's why you have to inflate the price, as Jesse mentioned.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm not really looking for tips on how to make eBay work for me, but thanks.

I will try to use jemsite to list a few guitars as you suggested, thanks for the recommendation!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
That's why you have to inflate the price, as Jesse mentioned.
I am not sure how much stuff you sell on ebay, but ebay is pretty strict with S/H charges and is quick to bounce all over a seller if e bay, or a bidder, feels the S/H are too much. E bay, due to its success, can pretty much do whatever it wants now, and requires paypal, and owns it as well. Oh well.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM

I would and have used the Classified section on Jemsite X1000 over ebay!!! You are dealing with genuine guys on here.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
I am not sure how much stuff you sell on ebay, but ebay is pretty strict with S/H charges and is quick to bounce all over a seller if e bay, or a bidder, feels the S/H are too much. E bay, due to its success, can pretty much do whatever it wants now, and requires paypal, and owns it as well. Oh well.....
1. I didn't say inflate shipping costs, I suggeated inflating the asking price and setting a reserve.

2. Ebay does NOT require Paypal, they just own it. You can state payment methods of a few more eBay accepted payment methods: ProPay, Moneybookers, Paymate, pay on pickup.

You eBay noobs need to learn all of the ins and outs of eBay before getting discouraged. Jemsite classifieds is still the way to go on most guitars though.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
1. I didn't say inflate shipping costs, I suggeated inflating the asking price and setting a reserve.--reserves often scare off bidders, inflated prices result in lower sales

2. Ebay does NOT require Paypal, they just own it. You can state payment methods of a few more eBay accepted payment methods: ProPay, Moneybookers, Paymate, pay on pickup. -- All these take a precentage.

You eBay noobs need to learn all of the ins and outs of eBay before getting discouraged. Jemsite classifieds is still the way to go on most guitars though.
Some good info in this post, some not so good. To each their own. Good luck to all!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
Some good info in this post, some not so good. To each their own. Good luck to all!
Yeah--I guess that's why I always bank extra dough on my eBay sales. For those of you that don't want their money back plus extra--please ignore my advice...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 AM

I have to side with bat here. I've had more than a couple of guitars that when I tried to sell on Craislist I was constantly low balled or told I was asking too much only to make about $200 more with a Buy it now price on ebay. A lot less flakes on ebay too. Either people say they have money and are on their way and never show up, ask you to hold something for a week just to change their mind, (and MAYBE tell you), or my favorite is they will talk you down on your price, then expect you to drive an hour each wa yo deliver the guitar to them

Tags
used gear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode