Hey Glen just something for you to consider about the Forums - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Lightbulb Hey Glen just something for you to consider about the Forums

Hey Glen,

Im not sure if something like this has been posted before.

I was just thinking today about How you changed the Classifieds so that everyone who posted could close their thread when they wanted, would it be possible to apply this to every part of the Forums as well and possibly peoples posts in threads, i've noticed that some people on occasion will have a computer glitch and a thread may be double posted, or someone will double post in a thread, then they have to get a mod to close it for them wouldn't it be easier if people could just close their own threads and delete their own posts instead of calling on a mod to do it.

Just seeing if anyone in the Jemsite communitity has thought about this and would welcome this as an option.

If it would waste too much of your time don't worry about it, just something to consider.

Anyways thanks

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Hey Glen just something for you to consider about the Forums

thanks for the suggestion. i think this could create problems than it would alleviate. if we had a Q&A forum area i'd say it would be a no-brainer. but i don't like the idea of a topic starter having the ability to curb discussion on a whim... it would lend itself towards getting the last word then quick close type of post.

i'm also not aware of any boards that let the topic starter "moderate" their own threads, probably for similar reasons ...glen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Fair enough thnaks glen, yeah i had another thought about it today i thought it might be a problem, i wasn't suggesting that the thread starter could delete other posts just his/her own. Anyways thanks for considering but yeah "Scrap that idea".

At least could you make it so that people can edit the Thread Title of a thread they have created at least, its a Problem if you mis-type something and it shows up as your thread title. I think that might be more useful, as it would be a similar thing to how we can edit our posts.

Sorry if i'm being a PITA,
But im glad you took the time to listen to me anyway.

thanks again mike
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
thanks for the suggestion. i think this could create problems than it would alleviate. if we had a Q&A forum area i'd say it would be a no-brainer. but i don't like the idea of a topic starter having the ability to curb discussion on a whim... it would lend itself towards getting the last word then quick close type of post.

i'm also not aware of any boards that let the topic starter "moderate" their own threads, probably for similar reasons ...glen
On Ultimate-Guitar, one can delete their own threads, but cannot close them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 AM
site founder 0% owner

deleting would be ok if it disallowed deletion if there were any replies. i'll check into it but i don't think vB allows that.

last thing i'd want is to let people delete their own threads if there was a reply... glen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
deleting would be ok if it disallowed deletion if there were any replies. i'll check into it but i don't think vB allows that.

last thing i'd want is to let people delete their own threads if there was a reply... glen
If theres a way, try to do it only in the classifieds.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM
site founder 0% owner

i checked and the vBulletin permission system does not allow for this.

in the classified area i think we're OK because CLOSE is essentially a delete so if people close their own topics there is no problem or duplicate threads...glen
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Can you still have a think about being able to edit our thread titles like we are able to edit posts, i think that would be handy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike239 View Post
Can you still have a think about being able to edit our thread titles like we are able to edit posts, i think that would be handy.
vBulletin doesn't seem to allow for that unless you're a moderator since the title is stored with the thread not just the actual post... glen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode