The next decade... (jemsite.com 2/14/2008) - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
The next decade... (jemsite.com 2/14/2008)

The next decade...

It's been almost 11 years since I started a website dedicated to Ibanez JEM guitars. Over time it has turned into a significant, worldwide community. All of you reading know the sense of family atmosphere and overall good spirit that is found here.. a rarity nowadays online. For this you all should be proud

As the single creator and "owner" of jemsite (ie. responsible for everything), it should be no surprise that what once was a small hobby site has grown to require the daily, continual participation of a part-time job. Our great community makes this job worthwhile, but nonetheless it requires attention & dedication to run, let alone flourish. Unfortunately it is a job which I no longer have the time to give the proper attention.

With this in mind I have an announcement to make that will benefit this community over what I hope is another decade and more.

In the next few days my role in jemsite.com will change from sole owner to minor partner. The rules and policies will remain the same. Our goals and mission remain the same. Our privacy policies will remain the same. We won't be having evilbay spammer links everywhere The new owners run web communities as a full time job so they bring to the table the ability to keep the site technically cutting edge in a way that we'd all like, but which I could not do myself. They can steer traffic & bolster the community without intrusion while generating the revenue required to allow this to happen.

My specific role at jemsite will remain in helping mangage the site & guide the forum as I've done here. I will administer the helpers, moderators, etc. I will be freed of dealing with servers, websites, security, vBulletin updates, techincal stuff or anything site related that ironically limits my actual participation here. All of that muckety muck stuff ultimately was a detraction from jemsite.

Jemsite.com will be transfered from my existing dedicated server to a new host in a few days. There will be a couple hours of downtime here or there while the transfer occurs. The forum database and site will be 100% intact (most would not even be aware of a change). Advanced notice will be given as this is among the final steps in my transferring jemsite.com to a new primary owner.

The new owners want & need my personal participation here. They will not come in with a wrecking ball and turn things inside out. That would NOT be in the best interest of anyone. It will be excited to see what the future brings to jemsite. While it's somewhat natural to fear change & the uknown, in this case I believe it should be embraced. I would have not have taken this path if I did not believe it would benefit the site I created & it's members now and in the future.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post or PM. The specific arrangements & terms are under legal non-disclosure so please refrain from that discussion.

... glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: The next decade... (jemsite.com 2/14/2008)

Glen,

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU! for masterminding the creation of this great site. I have complete respect in what you have created along with the perseverance and dedication that you have given Jemsite.com for the past ten years.

With that being said, I welcome the change and I hope that I can be of service should you need any assitance (as a moderator or any other role you may need). I also look forward to reading your posts and comments in the future, since you will be able to give your input more frequently.

Thanks!

Jimmy
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Thanks Glen, its a great community that youve created here.
perhaps you will now overtake Rich as top poster
does this mean I talk to A.N Other about a banner ?

Jaden
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM

THX Glenn, this is a great site! I'm sure it will stay that way.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

JEMsite the next generation
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 PM

i have enjoyed using Jemsite in the past and hope to continue to do so in the future.. Viva la Jemsite.. i'll drink to that!! :-)

cheers dude.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks Glen!
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 PM

Although I joint recently the site, I feel part of the family...

Glen,
I can't thank you enough.

If it wasn't jemsite, I would have never learn more about Universes, Jems and the whole world of Ibanez guitars;
not to mention all you great people that share friendship along with knowledge;
and all those GREAT pictures of real people's guitars.....

I owe you one!
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 PM

Thanks for creating an awesome site Glen.

jemsite.com was the first site on the internet I ever perused back in 1997/8, and I'm still here. That's testament to the quality of the forums, and the information available here.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks for everything Glen!

This is a GREAT site, and it is made that way by the regular posters who contribute so much to the site on a regular basis. It does feel like a family, because it is a family. I'm sure the future will be as exciting as a build up to NAMM

jim
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Vendor

The very first night I got on the internet in early 1997 [on a friends computer] I had intentions of trying to find a JS1BK, which I had been looking for locally for years with no luck. My friend showed me Google and of course Jemsite came up high in the search and was pretty much the first and only site I was on that night. Needless to say in the classifieds was languishing a JS5 nobody wanted, the seller had even just reduced the price $100 to an even $1000. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I just wanted black, but I was intrigued enough to call [I didn't have a computer or email, but he had posted his phone number in the add], and the long and short of it, the rest is history. Within a couple months I was a budding dealer, and within a couple more it went full time, and I've never looked back.

If Jemsite didn't exist, I probably wouldn't either

Well done Glen! Yes, the change is uncomfortable in not knowing what the future might bring. But whatever it brings, the last decade has been memorable. We all owe you a toast, so hold your glasses high!
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: The next decade... (jemsite.com 2/14/2008)

Thanx!!!
Sounds cool, hopefully it is. Enjoy the extra free time.
Catch a few baseball games this year...
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:19 PM

...to the best guitar website on the internet....cheers!
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:43 PM

Sounds like a plan.

Hopefully "minor partner" will still carry the title "Big Kahuna" with it.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Reviews: 10

Glen, you single handedly built this entire community and maintained it for all these years and that is very hard work so I can't blame you for wanting to simplify your life! I have confidence that Jemsite will still be a good place to mingle with other musician minds from around the globe.

I join Rich in raising my glass high to Jemsite!

Tags
guitar tech , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , seven string guitars , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode