October 2009 Reviewer Of The Month will win an Ernie Ball Wah Pedal! - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

October 2009 Reviewer Of The Month will win an Ernie Ball Wah Pedal!

We are happy to announce a Reviewer Of The Month (ROTM) contest as a way to thanking everyone contributing to Jemsite's Product Review Program by submitting all those great reviews!!!

The first ROTM will be elected for the month of October 2009 and will be announced on November 10th. The October ROTM Winner will receive an Ernie Ball Wah Pedal - courtesy of Ernie Ball!

Selection of the ROTM will be based on two main criteria:

• Quality and detail of reviews submitted throughout the month
Those that continually submit high quality/detailed reviews will be in the running for winnin ROTM! A high quality/detailed review goes deeper than single sentence comments within your review.
  • Quantity of reviews
Obviously the more reviews in a month the better your chances of winning ROTM.
Quality vs Quantity:

Keep in mind that doing 50 reviews with little substance will NOT get you ROTM. Keep them coming but make sure they are the quality reviews we typically see.

Time frame:

ROTM will be announced on the 10th of each month for the previous month and will be based on the reviews submitted within the past month.

ROTM PRIZES:

Yes! There will be a reward each month for the selected Reviewer of the Month. Rewards will range from Gift Certificates to music stores to gear from mfgs participating in Jemsite's Product Review Program. The winner of the October ROTM will be awarded a Wah Pedal courtesy of Ernie Ball.

Oh... and Of course ROTM winners will earn the ROTM Badge that will appear below their avatar!

Last edited by alan_w; 10-20-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 14
Re: Jemsite's Reviewer Of The Month Contest

Geeess .. I have to buy new gear to make a review contest then .. hahaha :-)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: October Reviewer Of The Month will win an Ernie Ball Wah Pedal!

That's really cool Alan but I hope people won't start making reviews of things they never played only to get a prize.Prizes should be given only to reviewers who attatch their own audio samples,at least we'd know they played that equipment.
Having their own audio samples doesn't means they have the best reviews but at least they have really played that equipment.
Well just an idea,sorry if it was a bad one lol.

Last edited by 6fingers; 10-31-2009 at 04:40 PM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Reviews: 37

sweet i did alot of audio files in my reviews some havnot yet been posted though?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:35 AM

Reviews: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Prizes should be given only to reviewers who attatch their own audio samples
Its a nice idea in concept, but the ability to attach audio samples was only a recent addition to the review form. A lot of folks had submitted reviews prior to that capability being available, and it would be bad policy to disqualify them from receiving something, now wouldn't it? Also, not everyone has the computer-recording equipment and software that it takes to record and produce an MP3. Does that mean we would want to disregard their opinions on equipment based on that limitation?

But I agree with your sentiment -- let's encourage folks to attach audio samples on new reviews. Plus, I'd love to be able to go back and add some samples to the reviews I've already submitted. (Alan, I don't suppose that would be possible?)

Please keep those reviews coming everyone! We're building up quite a nice database so far.

Gary

Last edited by PortlandAxe; 11-01-2009 at 03:42 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:03 AM

Reviews: 120

Why are audio samples required to "prove" someone has owned or played the gear? I think this is very silly.

A well written review with a decent amount depth makes it pretty obvious that someone has at least played with gear extensively.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 AM

Reviews: 25

I'm sure whomever is judging the competition will judge fairly
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandAxe View Post
A lot of folks had submitted reviews prior to that capability being available, and it would be bad policy to disqualify them from receiving something, now wouldn't it?

But I agree with your sentiment -- let's encourage folks to attach audio samples on new reviews. Plus, I'd love to be able to go back and add some samples to the reviews I've already submitted. (Alan, I don't suppose that would be possible?)
Gary
My friend people can even record samples with cell phones so I really don't believe someone in Jemsite can't record a mp3.
I made reviews before being able to attatch mp3 files so I asked Alan to delete them.So your point about members who made reviews with no audio samples doesn't works cause we all can re-do them.
Just ask Alan to delete the ones you want then re-do them attatching mp3 files.

Last edited by 6fingers; 11-01-2009 at 10:55 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Why are audio samples required to "prove" someone has owned or played the gear? I think this is very silly.

A well written review with a decent amount depth makes it pretty obvious that someone has at least played with gear extensively.
Wrong.
People can copy and paste here reviews from other forums with a decent amount depth ,we all know there are people who could do anything to get free equipment.This way we could at least,try to keep Jemsite reviews as honest as possible.
What are you afraid of?If your reviews are really yours so why do you care about it?
Jemsite has a great name out there and it deserves honest reviews.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Wrong.
People can copy and paste here reviews from other forums with a decent amount depth ,we all know there are people who could do anything to get free equipment.This way we could at least,try to keep Jemsite reviews as honest as possible.
What are you afraid of?If your reviews are really yours so why do you care about it?
Jemsite has a great name out there and it deserves honest reviews.
Again, you obviously aren't aware of what Alan is doing with submitted reviews. He is checking over the 'net to see if they are copied from other places.

I know this as I have published reviews on my blog prior to the Jemsite comparison shopping's existence. When it came in to being I reworked a few of my reviews to work within the review structure.

Alan obviously did some searching over the 'net using snippets of my reviews to see if they came from anywhere else, and informed me that he had found this. He asked that in future if I could publish my reviews on Jemsite first and on my blog later, and I have honoured that request.

So that is why I am pretty damn sure that Alan will find out people who are plagiarizing others work.

Besides, do you really think that people just wanting to get free stuff for no real work are going to get away with it? People with this frame of mind are most likely too lazy to rework other's reviews enough to make it look as though it's there own.

And recording on cell phones? Seriously? How many cell phones are you aware of have recording capabilities that don't sound like crap? People want to hear samples that sound good, not tinny representations of what gear should sound like.

And again, sound samples aren't a definitive way of ensuring someone has the gear. People can copy mp3s from elsewhere too, they aren't protected. And people can also use gear they do have, and try and approximate the sound of the gear they are "reviewing".

The only way to really "prove" want to you want to prove is by people videoing themselves where you can see them, the gear they are reviewing, and probably them mentioning their usernames on camera or holding a sign with their username on it.

And quite frankly that is asking way too much.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Again, you obviously aren't aware of what Alan is doing with submitted reviews. He is checking over the 'net to see if they are copied from other places.
Obviously he's checking,still people can copy and change them a little beat.

Quote:
The only way to really "prove" want to you want to prove is by people videoing themselves where you can see them, the gear they are reviewing, and probably them mentioning their usernames on camera or holding a sign with their username on it.
I agree with that still is better a gate with a chain than nothing,that's why is better having samples than nothing.At least people will have to spend more time copying other people reviews and samples.
You should realize it's just an idea,I never said it'd work 100% cause obviously it won't.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM

I haven't had time to review anything but Ibanez rocks, Gibson sucks! How's that? Do I win??
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
My friend people can even record samples with cell phones so I really don't believe someone in Jemsite can't record a mp3.
I made reviews before being able to attatch mp3 files so I asked Alan to delete them.So your point about members who made reviews with no audio samples doesn't works cause we all can re-do them.
Just ask Alan to delete the ones you want then re-do them attatching mp3 files.
All I'd say is that, I can't record an MP3 file.

I've probably got about as much guitar experience as anyone here. More than most I'd wager. I've done gigs in tiny clubs and also one show in a football stadium.

But I have no interest in recording things anymore. So I think whilst your idea is coming from the right place, is pretty stupid.

Maybe we should also say that unless folks own at least 10 guitars ,each worth at least $2000, then they don't really know what a high end guitar is and thus their reviews aren't up to scratch. Or if they're not classically trained, or if they don't have at least 25 years of playing experience, or haven't played at least 100 gigs in the USA as that's the worlds largest rock music consumer, or...

As far as I understood it, the review database was so that anyone who could sit down and write a decent review could get it published here on jemsite! Not one who was out to "prove" they'd used the equipment.

Folks who "make up" reviews like that anyway have to live with the fact their that pitiful anyway. Punishment enough I'd say.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 03:14 AM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
All I'd say is that, I can't record an MP3 file.

I've probably got about as much guitar experience as anyone here. More than most I'd wager. I've done gigs in tiny clubs and also one show in a football stadium.

But I have no interest in recording things anymore. So I think whilst your idea is coming from the right place, is pretty stupid.

Maybe we should also say that unless folks own at least 10 guitars ,each worth at least $2000, then they don't really know what a high end guitar is and thus their reviews aren't up to scratch. Or if they're not classically trained, or if they don't have at least 25 years of playing experience, or haven't played at least 100 gigs in the USA as that's the worlds largest rock music consumer, or...

As far as I understood it, the review database was so that anyone who could sit down and write a decent review could get it published here on jemsite! Not one who was out to "prove" they'd used the equipment.

Folks who "make up" reviews like that anyway have to live with the fact their that pitiful anyway. Punishment enough I'd say.
Correctamoondo !!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Many opinions here which shows you all care about this initiative and that is great and motivating for me!

I don't think we should make MP3's a requirement. I do think that people taking the time to record samples and include them in their review, should have their effort recognized through the "Review Quality" criteria which is considered when choosing a Reviewer to receive free gear, and it will be a key criteria when it comes down to choosing the ROTM every month.

I do check for content being original and the review being substantial. And part of the nice thing with this program, is that you get to know the Reviewers because they post here and you get a sense for who is for real and who isn't. Beyond that... jono put it best in his phrase below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

Tags
gear , product reviews , reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode