Suggestion about posting email address - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Suggestion about posting email address

I was just reading the sticky about not responding to/starting a FS/WTB ad by posting your email addy as contact, and that's a good point.
But I was just browsing some ads, and there are quite a few threads where people have to reply with email addresses to have pictures posted to. This pretty much leaves you as open to conmen as much as any other time you post your email address.
Would it not be a good idea to make FS/FT ad's have to link to pictures? It's obviously much easier for everyone to see pics in the post, and it's not hard to host pictures for free these days.
I'm happy to give webspace for people to host images if they need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Vendor

Re: Suggestion about posting email address

It should be required that anybody posting a classified also have an email address linked in their profile so instead of having to post in the thread interested parties could simply email the seller using the drop down menu at their ID. The benefit is that only members of the site can use the email feature after they log in so scammers surfing looking for victims could be minimized.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 PM

I agree with the MUST HAVE pictures in the post idea.. I hate having to email someone only to find out its been sold. Just post them in the thread.

Like said above by leec, picture hosting is not rocket science or hard to come by these days.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

good suggestions... the biggest problem is the extra moderation required.

if you say "don't post an email addy" there will always be someone posting an ad without it or a reply with it.

if you require links to pics, do you want to delete any ad without the pics? more moderation and PMs ("why did you delete my ad?").

all comments welcome... we just need to factor time of moderation and handling the ads.

if you post an EMAIL ADDY you are very foolish, but of course anyone reading here already knows that... glen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM

I would personally rather see links to pics than pics themselves in the ads, unless they are of the less than 200K variety jpgs. Somebody out there is still desperately waiting for broadband, and some of the big pics kill dial up.

jim
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Well if you guys are too busy already then I guess that's fair enough. I imagine this place takes some moderating, too. It's super-busy. Sounds like the only solution would be to "deputise" some users you guys know and trust, maybe.
I was only suggesting it as another measure in the crusade to make the place a little safer, so I hope it didn't come across as a gripe or in a complaining tone.

Last edited by leec; 10-23-2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: removing nonsense...and seeing twirly thing
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

i just disabled IMG tags in the classifieds forum (i wasn't aware that was an option easily configurable in vBulletin).

any IMG will be a click-thru URL link

this will help users on slower connections as well as moderators in loading/reading/closing the thread... glen
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 10:36 PM

You rock Glen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode