Wich wood is this guitar's body made of? - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Wich wood is this guitar's body made of?

Hi everyone,

I need help with a guitar I recently acquired. I have an idea but I want to be sure because the information on the web is not very exact. The guitar is an Ibanez RX40, made in korea in 1994, its serial number is C4020616 and here are some pics so you can see it, please delete the spaces

http: // imageshack.us/g/405/imagen095c.jpg/

The guitar was made at the Cort plant in February 1994. It has 22 frets one piece maple neck very well finished, but now I suspect it's body is made of plywood. The guitar doesn't sounds bad at all, in fact, I really like it, biu I need to be sure about that.

I looked at the Ibanez rules catalogs from 1991 to 1995 and the model does not appear, they say about the RX series that are all made of solid wood because of quality and stuff, but until 1994, in 1995 catalog the RX 20 model appears in Plywood. I looked into the guitar's holes and there are horizontal marks, but I still doubt about if it's plywood or just routing marks. Also, the guitar sounds excelent with my Seymour duncan JB.

I already posted this in other section, so if it's wrong let me know to delete one.
Weel, I hope someone knows, and my best to all, thanks!

Nicolas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 AM

Re: Wich wood is this guitar's body made of?

most ibanez's are made from basswood. looking on ibanez wiki, it hasnt got the rx40, but it has got the grx40 (just been merged into the Gio line), and it says the body is made from agathis/basswood.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybaby1985 View Post
most ibanez's are made from basswood. looking on ibanez wiki, it hasnt got the rx40, but it has got the grx40 (just been merged into the Gio line), and it says the body is made from agathis/basswood.
I didn't thought it was basswood because y already own basswood guitars and doesn't sound like them at all. If basswood, with the maple neck, should sound quite similar to a rg550 (maple neck w/basswood body) but doesn't seem to that at all, I tried also he same JB humbucker on my rg470 (rosewood fretboard w/basswood body) and sound like a completely different humbucker.

I've been using basswood for over 7 years almost, and it has never sounded this crunchy.

Also, the GIO versions of old guitars have nothing to do with the original rx, rg, sa, sz or whatever, and the rx40 is entirely different to the rx40, considering that the rx series became after the grx series.

Last edited by Powernico; 12-30-2011 at 09:26 AM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

According to the 1994 Ibanez catalog, most of the RX series were made from light American maple.

Tags
body , guitar , wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode