To "F" space or not to "F" space... - What the "F"... - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

To "F" space or not to "F" space... - What the "F"...

I just received a steves special from a friend of mine for a "red lace" project I am working on. It is not F spaced. I have done this in the past but just wanted opinions on putting a regular spaced PU in an RG body....

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 08:15 PM

To "F" space or not to "F" space...

Being that it's a Steve's special, I'll assume it's going in the bridge position.

I had a Duncan in my 560 for a long time. It was not F spaced and I heard no noticable difference in sound.

Go for it....man!!!!

J>
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 11:25 PM

Reviews: 3

If you direct-mount the pickup, you can usually balance it out really nicely using a non-F-Spaced pickup. *Good luck.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 09:49 AM

I don't think it makes any difference...When I bought my S2020 the Ibanez QM bridge pup wasn't F-spaced...You could clearly see that the poles on the pup were not aligned with the strings...

When I changed that pickup, I bought a F-Spaced ToneZone and it aligns perfectly with the strings now..But I am sure it doesnt really change anything for the sound....

my 0.02$...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 10:07 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

asthetics aside, i don't believe you can hear the difference between the F-spaced and std pickups... glen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 10:18 AM

i agree here too....i never worry about f-spacing....magnetic fields dont just go striaght up....the field looks kinda like a 3 dimensional bell...i guess.....dont sweat it
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 02:10 PM

yup,
linin' 'em up exact aint important at all unless you like things to look just perfick!

If you do then best to get an F spaced bridge and a standard neck (i.e. i find the standard neck lines up better than the F spaced neck)

Steve
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 02:56 PM

It's not a big deal. *Dimarzio doesn't even make F spaced 7 string pickups. *Anyone notice that?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 03:27 PM

One disappointment to me was when everyone made F spaced versions of their already standard pickups, I could notice a difference in the tone that I didn't like. I don't mean regarding the outside strings, I simply mean that when adding width to the coil you get more resistance for the same number of turns, or a smaller coil size for the same amount of resistance. *Seymore Duncan tried saying that his trem spaced pickups had a little more beef to compensate for the thinness of floyd type trems. But I think that was clearly an afterthought of putting the same number of turns on the wider bobbin. With the newer Dimarzio's, a lot of them were designed for the Ibanez crew, so they sound "right" as an F spaced model. *Either way, its no real big deal.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 08:19 AM

good point, frank
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:46 PM

thanks for the clarification guys

Tags
bridge position , bridge pup , spaced pickup , standard neck , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode