24 frets or 22 frets ? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
edo

24 frets or 22 frets ?

Is there any difference on the sound from a guitar if for example there are two guitars which one have 24 frets and the other one have 22 frets even though everything else from both guitars have the same specs ( same tremolo, same scale length, same woods, same pickups, etc ) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 11:41 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
24 frets or 22 frets ?

Yes. When using the neck pickup, because typically the 22-fret guitar has the humbucker further away from the bridge. Two frets closer to the nut obviously. When using the neck pickup, some sounds will be unique to the 22-fret guitar, since the pickup would be where the 24th fret harmonic would be on the JEM. Ultimately it depends how the guitar was built and if they considered pickup placement and fret# in it's design... glen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:18 AM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

Yes they will sound different with the neck pickup. 22 fret designs allow the neck pickup to be positioned under harmonic node that occurs at where the 24th fret would normally reside. Some builders believe this sounds better. My only gripe with this theory is that this only true if you are playing open strings. Once you fret the note, the node moves. So accordingly, 24 fret guitars may sound better when fretted at around the 2nd fret.

Also, some builders like PRS believe that the shorter, stiffer necks on 22 fret designs improve tone.

I have both 22 and 24 fret guitars that sound great and they are players with both types that have killer tone. I don't think it matters THAT much.

Rick
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:49 AM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

*post edited for lame-brain content*

(Edited by jeff l at 11:17 am on Jan. 3, 2001)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:58 AM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

I disagree on two things here -

First, the difference in sound with a neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar is evident no matter what notes you play - not just the open strings. *Playing the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar gives you what my ears define as a "Strat" sound. *Listen to SRV play his neck pickup. *Try to get that sound on your Jem. *(ignore the amp tone and just listen to the quality of the notes...) *You can't do it...

Second, the frets are not closer together on a 24 fret neck. *The first 22 frets are sitting in the same exact places on both necks. *(They have to, or the notes would be wrong.) *This is why a 24 fret Ibanez neck has an extension.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 3
24 frets or 22 frets ?

Maybe I'm missing part of the point... but we must all first keep in mind that these are not the same guitars. *Number of frets aside, they do not all have the same body material/construction, type of frets, pickups, etc etc etc.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:27 AM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

I think you are missing the point I'm trying to make --

I'm not talking about exact tone copying here.

There's a general quality to a note coming from a 22-fret guitar with the neck pickup selected. *You can hear it on a basswood JS, you can hear it on a mahogany Sabre, and you can hear it on an alder strat...

Different body woods and different amps will change the texture of the guitar sound, but what I'm talking about, kind of a spongy single-coil sound, is always there.

Take any of those same guitars and move the neck pickup and that sound is GONE.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:15 PM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

While we're on the topic of harmonics and the position over the 24th fret marker not being there......what is that characteristic Satch squeal that he makes when he takes his left hand, grabs the trem bar, and picks across some strings, and pulls the bar down (still with his left hand)?
Anyone seen him do this? *He uses it frequently, like the long intro into War and in a bunch of other songs.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:49 PM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

Ryan,

I agree on the fret spacing. The fret spacing is the same as long as the scale length is the same. However neck length may differ to allow better access on 24 fret necks. Making the neck longer and less stiff will affect tone.

I also agree that the tonal difference is not just with open strings. It occurs all over the fretboard because the pickups on 22 VS 24 fretters will be in different positions in regards to the fretted note. Everthing else being equal, the neck pickup on a 24 fret will likely sound brighter for the same note since it is closer to the bridge than the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar. I was just disproving the harmonic node theory, which is the reason some people *think* 22 fret guitars sound better.

I don't think you can compare the a Jem to a Strat. Like Jay pointed out there are too many other factors affecting tone. You CAN'T ignore the difference in the comparison. I believe these factors, especially the pickups, impact the tone as much or more than 1/2" of pickup placement.

I have never heard anyone say a 22 fret Les Paul sounds like a strat!

Rick
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 06:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
24 frets or 22 frets ?

#Moderation Mode

<a href="http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic.cgi?forum=17&topic=10" target="_self">Moved here</a>
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:11 PM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

It's really all down to personal preference at the end of the day. Every player is different the same way that every guitar is slightly different. Whatever meets the players requirements is what matters and not how many frets the guitar has, be it 21, 22, 24 or 36 (Remember the old crackly finish Wasburn's).
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 11:13 PM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

What old crackly finish Wasburn's had 36 frets ? ? ?
Where did they put the extra 12 ? ? ?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 11:44 AM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

Definetly 22 frets... because of the neck pup of course.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:10 AM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

Yes the sounds would be different. but I don't think it would acually be that noticable. Plus using a 22 fret guitar would NOT give you better tone than a 24 and visa versa. And sounds change overtime my good people. You don't see people that sound like SRV beacuse they use a 22 instead of a 24.....plus if they sounded like him they aren't getting a contract signed (more than likely). But either way you can get some cool sounds out of either. And either way you can get equally awsome tone from both guitars! That's all that matters folks! All that tone aside the only cool thing about a 24 fret neck is the fact of a double octave neck*drools*
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 04:10 PM

24 frets or 22 frets ?

Seems to me althought the varible is drastic in one sence because of the distance of spacing between the pickups is an issue. *This question is really like the old "which gives better tone a .09 e string or a .10 e string". *If you can hear that difference with the naked ear without trying then you would notice the difference between the two models you have come up with. Based on the idea that *they are plugged into the same amp...

On the Washburns fret board it was narrowed to a triangle as it went down the body towards the bridge.... I think I have a picture of one I'll try and post it for you....

Tags
alder strat , amp tone , fret board , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret ibanez neck , fret neck , fret necks , ibanez neck , jem neck , les paul , neck pickup , neck pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode