Children Guitars - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Children Guitars

Hello fellow non-Friday shoppers. Looking to buy a children's guitar for an 9 and 7 yr old. Any suggestion? Just want something they would be willing to play.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 03:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Children Guitars

i am looking at the ibz mikro or fender squire mini strat (electrics). both very good the Ibanez a little better. short scale for little ones. i did a review on that somewhere on jemsite.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 04:07 PM
NJT

One of my kids had a Yamaha something or other which served a purpose for many years (early teens mostly) and before that one of the Spongebob guitars. The Spongebob was definitely alright once given a setup, kept their interest too. Still have it here and bust it out once in a while for a blast!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 PM

+1 for the ibanez mikro. I bought one for travelling years ago and I love it to this minute. It should come with a little gig bag too. I did change the tuners on it because I was having tuning issues before I thought about the following solutions; you could either tune the guitar a bit higher than norm, or put heavier gauge strings on. In any case, mikro for the win!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:40 AM

Well, first things first: acoustic or electric?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking electric. I play way too much Guitarsmith and my kids want to play.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

I mean Rocksmith...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norco View Post
I was thinking electric. I play way too much Guitarsmith and my kids want to play.
Then I'd also vote for the Mikro. Such cool little guitars.

My 2nd choice would be one of the Fender Squier Mini Strats. A friend recently bought one for his kid and they were really happy. I didn't get a chance to inspect it myself though, so take that with a grain of salt.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok, just ordered a mikro, white of course. I've read the pickups suck. Anyone with experience upgrading them? Is it worth it?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

The Mikro i bought (several years ago) was in-store so it was play tested. PUs sound OK and have some versatility so from that perspective (for a young player) I don't see any reason to change them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode