edge or edge pro? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

edge or edge pro?

does anyone has a bad experience with the edge or edge pro on jem7v-wh ?

what's the difference between them?

which one is better ?

thanks!!

Last edited by christophe; 01-04-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

Re: edge or edge pro?

Go with Kahler
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM

i wanted to know that too, but that didn't answer the question. anyone know the answer to this?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 PM

I've read on websites that the edge is better and some day the Edge pro is betterso i huess it sepends on the player
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Reviews: 18

The original Edge is by far my favorite trem. The edge pro is great also, but in terms of simplicity and durability my vote goes to the original.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Sie

I've had guitars with all the Ibanez trems from the original Edge right through the TRS to the new ZR. From personal preference of comfort, ease of use and quality I'd say the Lo Pro Edge is the best. My JPM100 and my RG3120 which are 13 and 9 years old respectively have their original Lo Pro Edge which is still as solid and accurate as ever. A little finish wear, but knife edges are fine.

-Simon
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 AM

I've heard many people say that the original edge is better. They have got to have great quality because people are still selling Ibanez RG's from the 80's with the original edge for hundreds more than the new RG's with the (appalling) Edge III
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 AM

Thumbs up Re: edge or edge pro?

As far as I can tell, the Original Edge (herein referred to as OE) has the best resemblance to the Original Floyd Rose it was derived from. So, it's compatible with a lot more replacement saddles, and the like (although I can't recall if it will mount an EVH D-Tuna). I went for it because I'm interested in MIDI/piezo enabling my RG while also ditching my Edge III for greener pastures. And since I like the idea of removable knife edges, I prefer the OE. The Edge Pro does eliminate that annoying chore of clipping the strings, but I still prefer the first. Good luck grabbing one relatively cheap, though...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 PM

Reviews: 12

I didn't think any EDGE was compatable with OFR parts afaik none of the parts are close enough, I dont think the d-tuna can be used on non OFR or Schaller FR Bridges...

the Original EDGE comes with locking studs, the EDGE pro doesent, plus Vai uses an Original EDGE on EVO so the newer 7V's are closer to Evo, other than the gold HW....

arent the original EDGE and Lo pro swapable?

try and play an EDGE pro and EDGE to compare you may prefer the original, one of the things attracting me to the 505 is the Bridge...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I have some guitars with the Edge, some with the LoPro Edge, and my Jem77VBK has the Edge Pro. I haven't tried a ZR, but the new Premium RG920QM I ordered from Rich has the EZII. I love all of the Edge trems, but have to say I like the LoPro the best. As far as compatability of OFR saddles on an OE--I tried to replace the saddles on my Edge equipped RG550 with some back in the early 90s, and they did not fit. That aside, I say try some of the mentioned Edges to see what feels best for you. The Edge Pro is the newest of the Edge trems I've acquired and have 20 less experience with them--but no problems yet....

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Reviews: 120

d-Tuna does fit the OE. It's a standard profile trem with the long lock screws and whale tail like the OFR so of course it works. I have an OE with d-Tuna.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I have some guitars with the Edge, some with the LoPro Edge, and my Jem77VBK has the Edge Pro. I haven't tried a ZR, but the new Premium RG920QM I ordered from Rich has the EZII. I love all of the Edge trems, but have to say I like the LoPro the best. As far as compatability of OFR saddles on an OE--I tried to replace the saddles on my Edge equipped RG550 with some back in the early 90s, and they did not fit. That aside, I say try some of the mentioned Edges to see what feels best for you. The Edge Pro is the newest of the Edge trems I've acquired and have 20 less experience with them--but no problems yet....
Yeah, I think that might have to do with the fact that the Edge is made with a built-in radius for standard size saddles, and most OFR/LFR are flat bases with different sized saddles to get that radiusing in.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM

i much prefer aftermarket trem's to the ones on the jem's. intonation is brutal to do, even with the special tool...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Does anyone know of an edge that would fit the RG1570 besides it original trem part # (2EL1J11K) ?

Cook

Tags
edge or edge pro?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode