edge pro, edge pro 2 & edge3 trem system - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 26
edge pro, edge pro 2 & edge3 trem system

whats the difference between these guys... i noe the edge pro and pro 2 but.. i just want some info on the edge 3...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 PM

Re: edge pro, edge pro 2 & edge3 trem system

me too, ibanzhoe
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 PM

Alright, so the Edge is the original Ibanez licensed trem that looks most like the OFR. It has the ends of the clamps where you screw in sticking out the back and has the "whale-tail" bit. The Edge LoPro is more streamlined with the tail not going out quite so far, and the ends of the clamps closer to the actual clamp block, thus a shorter unit. The Edge III is the model used on most Korean models of the RG, having no stud-locked arm so it is held there on friction. The design itself looks kind of similar to the Edge Pro (not LoPro), but it uses cheaper materials (hence its usage on the lower-end models). The Edge III has a routing cavity that can retrofit (drop in) with an OFR, allowing for an upgrade if you really want to go that route. It's not bad when set up and used minimally though.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM

Yeah, I have an RG with edge 3. It kinda sucks that it is only held by friction, for me the bar simply hangs pointing at the ground cos its not a tight enough fit. But apart from that, its a good bridge, stays in tune and can have various ajustments made. a compromise, but they dont come on jems anyway.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 07:01 AM

I have been looking into getting an Ibanez guitar. I really want a nice guitar for metal and hard rock that has a double lock whammy and will last for a long time. The Ibanez line seems to be the best for that. But i have a limited price range, and really can't get anything much more than 500 (less than that hopefully!)

Anyways, i have been reading lots of stuff, and it seems that many ppl belive that the Edge III system is flawed in some way. I realize it is made of cheaper materials than the Edge Pro, but i would like to know if the Edge Pro is worth 300 to 400 more dollars. What are the major differences and downfalls of the two models? I have searched other threads, but they don't really deal w/ performance and longevity issues.

Thank you very much
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force2BRW View Post
Anyways, i have been reading lots of stuff, and it seems that many ppl belive that the Edge III system is flawed in some way. I realize it is made of cheaper materials than the Edge Pro, but i would like to know if the Edge Pro is worth 300 to 400 more dollars. What are the major differences and downfalls of the two models? I have searched other threads, but they don't really deal w/ performance and longevity issues.

Thank you very much
Plus 1 here i need the same info is it worth this
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 AM

It's not so much that the edge III is flawed, it's that it's not as good as the original edge and lo pro. I've kind of gotten spoiled by the original edge and hate to see Ibanez put a less effective piece in their guitars. It doesn't mean that the bridge is a piece of crap, it's just not as good as far as feel and smoothness (it's stiffer), features, and tuning stability. I have an edge III on my Rg350DX and it works just fine a long as you clamp down the nut, stretch out the strings, and properly set it up everytime you change strings. As long as you're not doing Herman Li whammy bar lifts and Steve Vai things to it all the time, it should work properly. Should you shell out an extra 300? I don't know, thats your call dude, but heed this warning.. AVOID THE LO TRS BRIDGES!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM

Yeah its a pretty good trem i have one on my RG350EX I use a blackbox to help a bit when doing bends etc,the only thing i would say that really sucks about it is that alot of the smaller parts start to rust (the string blocks,clamp screws etc) over the years and that the metal that the hex heads are made of could be tougher as ive lost a hex or two by accident. But as far as tuning goes its a piece of cake. and 300 more is a hell of a lot.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Hey guys I just bought a brand new rg350ex with the edge 3 and I was just wondering what I can do to lock the trem on it? I didnt want one with a trem but my music store doesn't have any medium priced guitars that dont have the trem. I also have a platinum pro warlock with the trem thats the guitar that I like to use the trem on.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Reviews: 2

I was wondering if it is a straight replacement for the Edge 3 to an Edge Pro? I know you have to do some routing for an original Edge, and figure you probably have to do some stuff for the Edge Pro but thought I'd ask just in case you don't.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM

You will find that an Edge Pro trem actually would require a slight amount of routing into its housing body if we are talking about one of the RG models which have the Edge III trem as standard.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
You will find that an Edge Pro trem actually would require a slight amount of routing into its housing body if we are talking about one of the RG models which have the Edge III trem as standard.
you dont have to...no routing,just direct replacement.....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBANEZRG320DXFMTG View Post
you dont have to...no routing,just direct replacement.....
Dude, there's no rule says you have to post in every Edge trem thread. Last post here was February, you can let it die...

Tags
steve vai , trs bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode