Fake jems? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Fake jems?

Hello guys. I'm new in this forum but i'm an old steve vai's fun and in love with jem guitars. Well, i am about to get a jem7v-WH but i cant afford to pay 2.500$ ++ so i decided to try to find one 7v in great condition little used and i can pay up to 1700-1800$. BUT as i was searching for 7v(s) for sale i found one site which sells FAKE GUITARS. ioffer.com/search/items/jem7v this is the site. and now i hesitate to get a used guitar cause i can't be sure about its originality. How could i separate a fake from an original jem7v guitar? I'm looking forward from hearing your answers guys cause i can't wait to get my first jem. Thank you for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Re: Fake jems?

You should first watch, if the hardware has the right color, cause many fake Jems (only 7vwh meant here) have chrome or black hardware.
Then have a look at the input jack, if it is like a RG one, it's fake jem. It should be lifted upwards.
Next thing is the Pickguard, many fake jems have just 4 screws at the bottom, the real ones have 5.
Next, in the shop you mentioned, the Fake Jem has not the Edge Trem by Ibanez, but something else, that doesn't fit exactly to the routed body.
And you should keep in mind, that the Ibanez Jem 7VWH with gold hardware has a black tremolo bar, not a gold one as in the fake shop

EDIT* As i saw in the fakeshop, some of the Jems have "Jem JR" printed on the headstock, though they are sold as jem 7v's.
And some have the wrong knobs, not that fender style, but Ibanez rg ones (keep in mind, that not all jems have that fender style knobs, for example the 7VSBL, but 7VWH always have fender style knobs)

Last edited by Devo10; 05-29-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Sth. to add :)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:12 AM

The headstock is almost always cut wrong, the monkey grip is usually wonky, the plastic cover plate behind the input jack is wrong, the check under "Ibanez" is usually off, the neck doesn't line up with the AANJ right, the fakes are usually offered in colors real Jems were never made in, some of those bodies are even cut way off, and of course if it's being offered for well under market price.

If you are going to buy a used Jem, just buy it from someone here. There is no way a fake would get past the regulars here.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Reviews: 7

I'm pretty sure you can order a custom jem from someone for around $1700-$2000 USD.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Hey dude try Et Guitars. They can make you a custom jem for about $1600 I believe, case and shipping included.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Their normal models sell for 1200-1600$, but as they are located in Australia, shipping could become expensive.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 01:34 PM

I would think if you want a Jem just buy one from someone here, like ElCid said. I wouldn't go striaght to custom, that strikes me as a silly first step.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

well i love playing guitar but i'm not that experienced to customise my own if you know what i mean. Anyway, would I be able to get a custom jem guitar equal to jem7v in quality?

Tags
fake jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode