A few vibrato queries. - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
A few vibrato queries.

Because searching for vibrato is like trying to find a needle in a haystack full of needles in this place, permit me to ask a few questions I have, since I've found no definitive vibrato master thread anywhere. And if there is one, hit me over the head and point me there.

Point of interest A: vibrato on the high E. How are you supposed to approach it? I've seen vibrato explained as a series of miniature bends, but that just doesn't want to work for me on the high E. My vibrato up to now is a sort of take on Clapton's style (i.e. you take your hand off the back of the neck) because I just can't seem to get the hang of vibrato with the hand ON the back of the neck - which is all fine and dandy, except I end up wiggling the string aimlessly. I've been cheating my way a little bit with the tremolo arm, but tremolo vibrato is... well, it's tremolo vibrato. It's not as "natural" as the real thing, even when pulling only up (that is to say going above the pitch and back to it).

Point of interest B: metal vibrato - that really wide, aggressive vibrato - think... Slayer or something. Sure, my vibrato's improved somewhat lately, but I just can't seem to get a good enough grip. Don't get me wrong, I do practice with every occasion (that is once every few days, recently, but generally once a day) but I seem to miss the right way of doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Re: A few vibrato queries.

Hi, check the link out, hope it helps,

http://www.fretjam.com/string-vibrato.html

Regards,
Nelson
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Just listen to tons of Lynch and try and copy that.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Reviews: 13

When you think vibrato, think Yngwie Malmsteen.
Search for ANY videos on YouTube.
He can be the most repetitive guitarist ever, but his vibratos are fabulous.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I have heard Yngwie's vibrato... damn, that sings. It's actually the vibrato I've been unconsciously trying to copy, now that I think about it. That and Guthrie Govan's. Not too wide, not too girly, just the right amount.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:18 PM

Thumbs up Re: A few vibrato queries.

I think, when you are trying to have a vibrato on high E string. What i am doing is bend the string slightly upward coz theres no more room downward, lolz..

seriously, just bend it slightly upward then back to original position. Or maybe much easier if you have a floating bridge, e.g. floyd..

Feel the tone, feel the sound. and do it clean.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Practise building strength in the wrist each day to warmup by many full bends with all combo fingers both up/down. If you have the wrist technique working then timing and width develop with consistency.
One other method is to apply slight squeezes into the thumb as this is evenly spaced well enough too. Also just free yourself from the tempo and remain relaxed through the note.
Some ppl now even push sharp on vibrato bends to sound consistant. It requires strength and to get that you need to get off 9gauge to build muscle. Try 9.5 or even 10s and be sure your frets are well pollished

I used to use the trem arm alot but since I got to play some blues I never wanted to. Since the backstop is fitted it simply won't sound good to vibrato pitching down either.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsteele View Post
+1 for me on lynch
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Exclamation Re: A few vibrato queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsteele View Post
Yep--and an interesting point on George's vibrato, is that he frequently uses the "jack-off" vibrato technique. No, I'm not kidding--he actually calls it that! Instead of the "miniature bends" method, he runs his finger parallel to to fretboard along the axis of the string in a very fast movement. I remember seeing him do it on his first REH instructional video, George Lynch Guitar Bible. Thank God for Youtube, as I just found you the clip of the "jack-off" vibrato. Click this link, and forward the slider to 4:48, so see George demonstrate his vibrato techniques.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqkVFGhLh0
At 6:35, he discusses the "jack-off" or horizontal vibrato. After you've watched this, search youtube for other George Lynch clips from either the Guitar Bible or the second REH instructional videos--you will learn quite a bit, and George does a great job showing his techniques.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Yep--and an interesting point on George's vibrato, is that he frequently uses the "jack-off" vibrato technique. Instead of the "miniature bends" method, he runs his finger parallel to to fretboard along the axis of the string in a very fast movement.
That technique is actually in the link above.
It's the regular virbrato method used by violinists, or upricht bass players.
I've seen Vai demonstrating it as well.

Tags
vibrato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode