Flying with my Jem checked in as luggage? Or bring it on board? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Flying with my Jem checked in as luggage? Or bring it on board?

Hello all!

I am the proud owner of one of the early Jem 77 BFP (Blue Flower Pattern). I say one of the early because... well that's... let me count. Something like 25 years ago!!! So I first owned a Jem 77 BFP that had the pickups screwed into the pickguard plate, but then that guitar was stolen. A couple of years later, I got a new Jem 77 BFP and that one had the pickups screwed into the body. That's the one I still own today — nearly 25 years later.

I'm trying to fly with the guitar to Europe and I don't know what to do. The airlines say I have to check it in as luggage and pay $85, which is fine money wise, but do I really want that guitar checked as luggage? Have any of you ever checked your Jem as luggage? On a long international connecting flight?

Looking to hear about anyone with experience flying a guitar across the Atlantic, whether checked or on board.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jm.jpg (10.2 KB, 58 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 AM

Re: Flying with my Jem checked in as luggage? Or bring it on board?

Proper flight case or no go. You don't want them ruining your prized posession.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM

I can tell you my experience with flying with a guitar... I never saw the guitar again.

Well, that's not entirely true. I walked into a guitar shop about 10 years later and saw it hanging on the wall in the used section. I grabbed it, flipped it over to see the unmistakable ding on the neck, and said to myself "yep, that's it".

He asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said, "No, not again".

So long story short I don't fly with them anymore.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 PM

Maybe detach the neck and try to fit it (amongst soft clothing) into your carry on?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Hi Jeremy.

I would avoid taking such a unique guitar under the carriage of the plane unless you have one of those plastic hard shell cases that have rounded edges. From my experience the guitar cases that are made out of wood inside tend to get damaged easily.(They trow the cases, as I have seen it first hand in many occasions including mine despite all the fragile stickers). (Already had a horror story with TSA this past Christmas as it turns out there are people who don't know how to open a guitar case that had no locks placed on it. So they made a hole into the edge of the case and were tearing it open from the corner to a certain extent and poked holes into the interior too. The guitar was also damaged as well. I was SO enraged when I got my guitar at my destination and see a flyer explaining they had to open it by force if it was locked, which it wasn't. A reason to avoid your guitar being touch by TSA. As it is a gamble.
Back on topic.
If you flight during non busy season, it will be a lot easier to carry your guitar with you inside. It helps if your case is not too big, but one that is tight to the size of the guitar. As they are easy to put on the top shelf. Also you could also ask very politely to the flight attendants if you could put your guitar case on the compartment where First class store their jackets and coats. This is located on most planes upon the entrance to the gate to your right. (Next to the main gate and bathroom.) I had my guitars placed there in several occasions. Just make sure to ask nicely about it. (Since the planes for Europe are bigger, they might have that storage on a different location on the plane).

Also I notice they go easy on people who have soft case guitar cases.

Also another thing to keep in mind is to put a sock or something behind the tremolo and loose the strings, so they don't snap with the high pressure when flying.

I hope this helps Jeremy.

Cheers

ps. The idea of taking apart the neck of the guitar and put it inside your luggage with plenty of clothing to protect it, is a valid idea as well. I did travel many years ago with an lcd monitor and it didn't got damaged at all.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Vendor

Asking a flight attendant to store your guitar for you would possibly get you dragged off the plane by security for being unreasonable and unruly when you complain after they refuse
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM

Hahaha... with the current airline trends so far in 2017 that seems plausible.

Hope all this help and that you have a safe flight with your guitar as well as a fun trip in Europe.

Cheers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I have previous experience. Check out this thread for more info;

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f36/ai...rs-128530.html

I checked two and took two on board. If you have it in a soft case/gig bag you should have no trouble taking it on board and putting it in the overhead bins. Try to get on board early for space reasons! I also just brought two back from Japan in the same way - gig bags / overhead storage.

Cheers for now and happy travels!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your replies.

froctavio, when I flew from Europe to the U.S., that's what I did: I had them put the guitar in the first class jacket closet. Actually at first they refused but I told them that I had been told when I purchased the ticket that taking the guitar on board wouldn't be an issue, and so they complied.

I would hope to be able to do the same on the way back to Europe but this time it's high season, the plane will probably be full, it may be tricky.

That's going to be one tough decision to make.

Tags
bfp , carry on , checked in , fly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode