Gone Scallopped!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Gone Scallopped!!!!!!!!

I have a Super Wizard neck that I scalloped 5yrs ago all the way to the side markers (not thru just to) took the dot inlays outof the fingerboard and put stainless steel phillips screw heads in there place... no twisting or warping; Been scalloping my own necks for 15yrs.

I'm fighting the urge to scallop my new 1570 as I already have 5 guitars scalloped; 4 full and one last 4 frets only.

I find the tone to be purer and alil brighter(mids?) you have total control of bending. your speed may or may not increase do to being able to relax your hand more. I don't find slides a problem ,infact I can count fret positions by feel better.It makes your playing instantly drier until you regain compsure enough to create ghost notes instead of them just being there everywhere all the time. sweep picking is much cleaner with scalloping because as soon as you lift off the note it's deadened by the meat of your finger. Bending vertically(pressing into the scallop) is strange at first(there are musical styles based on this concept) It's a tone that jumbo frets will NEVER get you close to.

Yeah so uhm scalloping kicks ass n STUFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 PM

how do you self-scallop necks you guys? do you just spend hours with sandpaper going over the thing?

I'd consider trying it myself to get the hang of it on my first guitar (squier)...but most certainly not on my les Paul....

has anyone scalloped a LP before?
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM

nicely done dude i scalloped my epiphone special sg's 15-22 frets myself and i dont think it is the best but it is fairly deccent (100% handmade work, not machines and a lot of time are the secret D
i feel a lil' difference between this and my older neck

but is it true that the fact of having your neck scalloped help's you play with minimum contact with the string? because physics say it is true

but my experience say's it was'nt really the big thing

do you have experience with this? then is it true the ''touch'' advantage of scallop┐

well, grats anyway
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM

wow, I love this thread. I have been playing an old rg550 for years with a full scalloped neck. I bought it off **** for 200 bucks with a broken neck. I fixed the neck and thought I would give a scallop a try so I did and it is the ONLY guitar I play out of my collection...love it, love it, love it...and so does everyone who ever plays it :-) pics to come. Great site BTW
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

I have a Universe 7 with a cracked neck. It still holds tune and plays well, but I need to fix it at some point. How much did it cost you for the neck repair?

Last edited by erawk; 01-01-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: grammar
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM

deleted

Last edited by Nevi; 05-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM

I thought I would give a little feedback on my neck.The luthier I gave the guitar,made a great job,and the tree of life inlay was deeper than we both thought,so there was no problems.There was a few places where he had to give it a little filler,but its so little so you only notice it if you take the guitar up and really look after errors.He made the scallops as deep as the 4 last frets,that are scalloped from the factory,and it was perfect (for me).
The first impressions I got,was that my guitar sounded clearer somehow,I cant really explain it.I did not really have to "get used to it",but the guitar is so much easier somehow to play on.Pull offs and hammer ons are so easy now.Especially legato is easier .I dont understand Yngwie say its more difficult to play fast on a scalloped neck,thats not my impression.
I will post a few pix when I get my camera.
I am so happy I took this step.My Jem is better now,than when I bought it.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 4

Might YJM be saying that to make himself seem like that much more of a badarse? Just a thought, he does seem to like puffing himself up.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM

I agree Ekim...I think Malmsteen refrains from the word "easier."
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 AM

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , finger board , jumbo frets , scalloped fretboard , scalloped neck , super wizard neck , sweep picking , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode