How does Steve vai's guitar stay in tune with tilted bridge ? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

View Poll Results: How does steve vai's guitar stay in tune with tilted bridge ?
bridge in tune 2 28.57%
steve vai bridge 3 42.86%
tilted bridge 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Talking How does Steve vai's guitar stay in tune with tilted bridge ?

Hi,

First of all i would like to thank everybody for there advice previously on my topic, it was a great help !

I've been playing for about a year now on the jem7v. It's an amazing guitar, however there's a question which is burning on my lips. If you look at steve vai's guitar you can clearly notice his bridge is tilted up a lot. If i set my guitar up in this way it will go out of tune as soon as a use the tremolo for sometime.

If i set the guitar up with the bridge neutral it stay's in tune but i am not able to produce some specific effects.

To obtain some effects the bridge needs to be tilted up, also my action is not as low as some of the players for this reason.

thx a lot for the advice !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: How does Steve vai's guitar stay in tune with tilted bridge ?

Why did you put the tags in a poll?

On topic:

1. Ask Rich Harris:

www.ibanezrules.com
he surely knows how it's done.

or

2. ask this guy, he must know how:

http://www.matheasguitars.com.au/setups.htm#
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM

Reviews: 1

I voted steve Vai bridge
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Never seen any pics of Vai's guitar so likely wrong but maybe it's an edge, they look tipped up when the knife edges are level. What effects can you only do with a tipped up bridge?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I understand the question, but the included poll makes no sense. How about posting the pic of the bridge in question?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM

Reviews: 2

Vai uses an original Edge bridge not a lo-pro or Edge pro and it does almost look tipped when infact it is set parallel.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 3

Yeh I don't think it's tipped up.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Reviews: 15

LuredMaul is right. But even if it was tilted, it has nothing to do with the guitar staying in tune. The tension on the strings determines the angle of the bridge. You can have it level, pointing up or pointing down and still have it in tune. The only thing that it will effect is the action.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: How does Steve vai's guitar stay in tune with tilted bridge ?

hi everybody

thx so much for your help :-) in the vid below you have a clear shot at his bridge at around 3.13 3.14 to 3.16
YOUTUBE whispering a prayer live at the astoria
it is not the best vid for noticing what i mean but if i come across the other i will post it also. Maybe i dont see it clear bit to me it looks tilted way up unless the original edge bridge is a lot different.

thx in advance all

BTW THE POLL IS A MISTAKE I APOLIGIZE TO EVERYBODY FOR THIS INCONVENIENCE
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffele View Post
hi everybody

thx so much for your help :-) in the vid below you have a clear shot at his bridge at around 3.13 3.14 to 3.16
YOUTUBE whispering a prayer live at the astoria
it is not the best vid for noticing what i mean but if i come across the other i will post it also. Maybe i dont see it clear bit to me it looks tilted way up unless the original edge bridge is a lot different.

thx in advance all

BTW THE POLL IS A MISTAKE I APOLIGIZE TO EVERYBODY FOR THIS INCONVENIENCE
Those bridges are in fact tilted slightly forward...I work on Ibanez and Floyd Rose trems all the time...been using floatng trems way before locking systems came out. Most people who set up their own edge trems and are not familiar with them make that common mistake of setting the top of their trem parallel to the top of the guitar, when in fact it's the base of the trem that is parallel sighting the side of the trem knife edge, here's an example;

Last edited by nasticanasta; 09-01-2010 at 06:55 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasticanasta View Post
Most people who set up their own edge trems and are not familiar with them make that common mistake of setting the top of their trem parallel to the top of the guitar, when in fact it's the base of the trem that is parallel sighting the side of the trem knife edge, here's an example
I may be guilty of doing that Although I have a weird (non ibanez) tremolo and it's been blocked for years so I'll have to check
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 PM

Reviews: 25

So its the knife edge that is supposed to be parallel to the body... not the top part of the trem so my tech guy is wrong ?.. bugger.....

According to Ibanez you are incorrect ? "The tremolo system should sit parallel to the surface of the guitar body, as shown in the
illustration." http://www.ibanez.com/support/help

according to the picture taken from the ibanez website, it is the edge system that sits parallel, doesn't tilt forward suggesting that the knife edge isnt the guideline, unless the kinfe edge is parallel to the system, then both is correct

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 09-01-2010 at 07:51 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
So its the knife edge that is supposed to be parallel to the body... not the top part of the trem so my tech guy is wrong ?.. bugger.....

According to Ibanez you are incorrect ? "The tremolo system should sit parallel to the surface of the guitar body, as shown in the

according to the picture taken from the ibanez website, it is the edge system that sits parallel, doesn't tilt forward suggesting that the knife edge isnt the guideline, unless the kinfe edge is parallel to the system, then both is correct
Ya.. damn I wish that pic was bigger...you can see that even this pic shows the trem tilted slightly forward...and it appears the knife edge on the side of the trem is parallel to the top of the body...my pic is a edge pro III your pic is a lo pro which have the same type of base....these 2 types are interchangable in the RG and Jem series I do believe. To answer...yes these are both correct..I have an instruction manual that came with my RG that shows how to set up the trem somewhere, when I find it will scan and post. Here I enlarged the pic;

Last edited by nasticanasta; 09-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post

Look closer,it is fact that the original edge and low pro edge look tilted due to their design.
You line up the base of the trem(which runs parallel to the knife edge) parallel with the body as clearly shown in this diagram. Everyone SHOULD know,knife edges must be level to be set 100% correctly.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Reviews: 13

Did you guys know the "All About EVO" section on Vai.com?
It can be accessed by clicking the banner on this page:
http://vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html

Just take a look at this picture of EVO, the Edge is really angled on its normal position, but Vai uses it EVEN FURTHER angled:

Tags
bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode