I have a junk neck! - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Question I have a junk neck!

I just picked up a used rg7620 and the rosewood on the neck is trashed. Looks like the truss rod is stripped too. Anyone know where I can get help finding a replacement besides eBay? I thought about attempting to replace the rosewood and frets. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn how to do this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: I have a junk neck!

This tutorial should cover everything your looking for. I would be sure to bookmark it AND the Project Guitar home page.

http://projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial9.htm

http://projectguitar.com/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Are you prepared to shell out at least $300 for the bare basic tools you'll need for this?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! Looks like I will be able to handle this one! Good thing I have a cheap neck to practice on before hitting the good neck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 AM
VCR

Buy a neck from the bay. Simple bolt on activity and...done
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Can't find one on the auction site. I would rather buy one!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

If you go down the DIY road, you can pick upp boards from several places like StewMac and LMI. You can also get them from aiguitars on eBay--he's got prerouted ones for his funky inlay kits, too. While you're at it--replace the truss rod if it's bad. Follow the white rabbit Ryc sent you to for the tutorials, but also take heed at what MusiKron stated--you'll need special tools like fret level, sanpaper, stel wool, fret files, crowning files, edge dressing files, etc. Your best bet is to hold off and keep searching the bay--they pop up every week. Stay away from the seller MasGuitars--he's the most expensive chop-shop seller on there. You could also order a great custom neck from Ernie at ET Guitars--link in the vendor banners at the top of each Jemsite page.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
VCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrock View Post
Can't find one on the auction site. I would rather buy one!
Oh, sorry Kind of thought you where saying you didn't want to get it there. But I see you can't find one.

Yeah I just looked and a whole lot of nothing for you on the bay on that model. Good luck

Last edited by VCR; 04-07-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode