Ibanez 1527 setting up problem - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez 1527 setting up problem

Hi
I've bought Ibanez 1527 a few days ago. You may saw some my threads with questions about this guitar

So, I was very happy, especial I liked neck. But then I've plugged it in tube amp and heard that something wrong with it.

A, D, G, B and E (5 higher strings) sounded good. But 6 and 7 string (E and B) sounds dull or lazy, like it laks attack or have to much attack, in chords it sounds not prominent at all - if I hit something like powerchord E or B, I get feeling like it's a bit out of tune or even a bit mutted, hard to describe. Simply not "right". I checked it with tuner - all fine. I've also checked intonation - all ok, and then chacked truss rod and action - all looks normal to me, no buzzes on open chords.

I thought that may be problem in pickups - in bridge it have dropsonic, but that I turned down volume completely - even unplugged especially B sound strange, like a bit out of tune. And same on E

I've tuned guitar to drop A and of course thing gone ever worse

I have RG320 6-string - cheap korean guitar with EMG 81 and 89, and it sounds awesome in Drop D, all chords incredable clear and prominent. But I can't believe that it is only cause of EMGs. Dropsonic definitely not perfect pickup, but I simply can't sound so muddy and unprominents

Dropsonic's blade faced to the bridge. Some people recommended me to face it to the neck. Is it good idea? I've read that with turned to the neck blade it will become more warm, so I think it will result even in more mud.

But anyways it doesn't look like problem with pickups, but problem with setting up I think. Simply can't define where...

So, I'm stuck =( I need help 'cause seems to me like I've checked all that could affect "wrong" sound of 6 and 7 string

Oh, almost forgot. I've installed on it new set of Dean Markley Nickelsteel (10-52,60). Before it had GHS (9-52 (yes, 52 - 7 string). But it didn't helped at all.
Trem blocked completely with wood block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Re: Ibanez 1527 setting up problem

Check if your locking nut is fastened enough (with the 2 screws that go into the neck)
Check for Fretbuzz, fret after fret al the way up the neck.do this with all strings.
Check for pickup volume per string. put your pickup as high as you can towards the strings. now they should make lots of noise. now turn them lower untill the noise is gone.
See if you can ballance the pickups in a whole.if not,adjust the polepieces from your pickup.

if nothing happens,let me know
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

unfortunately didn't helped
Also any high of dropsonic or adjusting of polepieces make some differences, but sound of 7 and 6 string (6 string were dropped to D) in any case remains not prominent, like there is something wrong. I've tuned guitar to E and looks like it sounded pretty clear. I've took guitar to tech, he tuned guitar for few days, checked electronics and he says that all is ok, guitar setted up properly, but problem with "wrong" sound of 6 and 7 string still remained and he said that he can't do anything with it and he think that problem lays in pickup (dropsonic).
Also I've tried to face dropsonic's blade to neck and it added to sound nothing but mud.

so currenctly I have 2 thoughts:
1. strings are dead (despite they are new) or too thought (some guy recommended me to try 56 instead of 60 for 7 string)
2. Dropsonic simply can't handle low tunings...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

2 moderators
can I ask to move that thread to general tech forum?
if no, delete that post plz
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:19 PM

It could be your pickup is bad,i don't think its a string issiue.
try it anyway to swap for a lighter gauge cause its less expensive.
But i think you need a different pickup.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 PM

I think you need to go back as close as you can to the factory set-up:

9-52 gauge
unblock floating trem

original pups/electronics if possible, but since the problem is also present acoustically I doubt it's in the pups.
Although magnetic pull can cause intonation and sustain problems.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

lighter strings made things only worse (42 (!) for 6 string and 58 for 7 string)
7 strings sounds normaly in B, but still a bit... hm not even muddy, may be harsh or very sharp
42 for 6 string... GHS must be jocking. It does not sound even in standart E tuning
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Most Ibanez guitars are set up from the factory with 9-42 sets.
The 7s are 9-54 standard. There are exceptions such as the K7 and MMM (IIRC)

The main problem is settting the low B intonation, with heavier gauges the saddle will need to go back more than the hole in the trem base allows it to be set.

My point is that you go back to the original settings as close as possibile to eliminate any problems arising from your particular set up.

BTW there is a thread on the merits on D-sonic orientation:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/co...ays-88630.html
i presume this applies to both the regular D-sonic and the D-sonic7.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My point is that you go back to the original settings as close as possibile to eliminate any problems arising from your particular set up.
won't work definitely. With 52 on 7 string tension will be extremely low imho
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 AM

which is why you need to go back to the original set up:
low B: 54
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Hi Dude-

well i got a RG1527 with Dsonic 7 Bridge and stock Neck (in the future air norton/paf7),
this set-up is cool (well the best for me is bareknuckle nailbomb, but is expensive)

ok, if you already looked the truss rod / neck relief, tremolo / action height, trem angle, and the guitar itself is not buzzing, then the problem is the pickup (maybe is microphonic or something).

im using elixirs 9-42 and 54 low B with action about .080mm (low as hell) in 12 fret. and dont have any problems with it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 08:52 PM

It sounds like you have covered most of your bases with the guitar itself. But it is also a possibility that your trem block is causing some problems. I have custom blocked a few Ibanez that have sounded off on one string or another. Often a wood block will vibrate a bit and cause the bridge to affect the overall sound.

If you still feel that the guitar might be to blame, you should take your Ibanez to a licensed luthier, or guitar tech, who can take a second look. I have worked on guitars for 3 decades and still take my fretwork and body repair to better qualified luthiers than I. Plus it might be good just to get a second set of eyes on the problem.

Another possibility is that your current amp setup is not working with your new guitar's sound. Every time I change guitars I have to reset all of my processor presets, change the globals, change the EQ, etc...I have a 550 with a crunchLab and a Liquifire, and 1M pots, that gets incredible gain (almost too much for some of the older metal that I play). But recently got a 3550 (changed the pickups out of course) that sounded like it lacked gain--was clear to the point of being thin. Well this new guitar had 500K pots, a Steve Special/Velvet/A.Norton pickup setup, and a completely different bridge (Edge Z), so why should I expect it to sound even slightly like my 20 year old 550. I set about reworking my entire sound structure and changed my processor and preamp presets, tube amp settings, and sonic maximizer settings, and the guitar sounds much heavier as a result. I actually was able to make my 3550 sound a bit heavier than my 550 only because the clarity of the instrument (and pots) made the amount of gain I could pump through it much higher.

Going from a 6 to a 7 string will definitely require a sound modification in your gear--your previous amp setup will likely be a little muddy with the lower string.

Often just a tiny variable can completely modify your sound, so I wouldn't give up just yet.

Tags
1527 , ibanez , problem , setting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode