Ibanez bridge's - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez bridge's

Hi all, my first post so be gentle.
It in regard to the Ibanez floating tremolo systems. Why is it that the bridge comes in many bettered versions up to the edge zero but all the pro's revert back to the original edge bridge for their axes?
Is it that newer is not neccesarily better or is it that the edge is waht they have always been use to since its introduction.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Ibanez bridge's

Plain and simple?? Yes, the original edge is a great trem. Even Floyd Rose himself said he thought it was great......I can't find the link to that article, but when I do, I'll post it. Anyway, it is the opinion of MANY people that the o.e. (original edge) is superior to the L.P. (lo-pro), E.P. (edge pro) or the crappy Trs 1 & 2's, and the even worse edge 2 and 3's.
Although they are considered upgrades, neither the L.P. or the E.P. hold tune better than the O.E. on Identically setup guitars. That doesn't sound like an upgrade to me. The L.P. cannot be pulled up as much as an O.E. THAT sounds like a down grade to me. Personally I find the LP and EP to be much stiffer. You can make your own decision about that. As you can probably tell, I'm an OE fan. They are incredibly stable and VERY well built. The one in my USA custom (1990) is played everyday. I have never had to replace the knife edges although they do require maintenance every couple of years. I have never played an EZ (edge zero), but if Vai and Satch are sticking with their OE's, then I have no reason to believe that its a better trem.... just different.

Ryc
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Most of my RGs are equipped with the OE, but I have an LP on a 570 and an EP on my Jem. The LP is just as good as the OE, and so is the EP. "Stiffness" can be corrected. As far as tuning stability, the OE is not superior to the LP oe EP--when properly setup, they all maintain proper pitch though the harshest of playing.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks peeps.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Most of my RGs are equipped with the OE, but I have an LP on a 570 and an EP on my Jem. The LP is just as good as the OE, and so is the EP. "Stiffness" can be corrected. As far as tuning stability, the OE is not superior to the LP oe EP--when properly setup, they all maintain proper pitch though the harshest of playing.
AB- I agree.... Hope that's what I was getting across. I was trying to show that the OE is certainly not a downgrade to either the LP or the EP. Nor is it an upgrade, its just different.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldude72 View Post
Thanks peeps.
No problem, hope we helped.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:14 AM

Also, one of the reasons Ibanez has so many trems is because they were trying to get away from using Floyd Rose patents (to stop paying royalties). Whenever saving money is part of the motivation, improving function doesn't always prevail.

My guitar does have an Edge Zero and it's still a great trem though. I don't use a whammy bar, but I will use my wrist to get a little vibrato here and there. I only have to tune like once a month maybe.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Can any of you give a good substitute for the RG1570 Edge Pro that I could drop in without routing the body? The original part is 2EL1J11K. The Edge III does not fit my model.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldude72 View Post
Hi all, my first post so be gentle.
It in regard to the Ibanez floating tremolo systems. Why is it that the bridge comes in many bettered versions up to the edge zero but all the pro's revert back to the original edge bridge for their axes?
Is it that newer is not neccesarily better or is it that the edge is waht they have always been use to since its introduction.
Thanks
Hey Guys, I can't give ya a link to the comment, but I once read a answer Vai gave to this question. He commented that all the Gotoh Edge models, the high quality Japan versions) are great trems that manage tune great if set up properly. But due to the mass differences with the profile of each they tend to perform slightly different. Some have more weight in the back some in the front some centered. The fact that Vai uses a vibrato soo much he has found for his style of music the model that flutters and feels better, and one may even return to zero faster. Due to the balance of its weight. If ya have set up a few trems and know how little it takes to effect it's balance you easily understand Vai's reasoning. I'd bet if a big fat fly landed on a trem a strobe tuner would show you a deflection of a very small amount. Ha ha yeah sounds a bit silly but anything that's totally floating is affected by gravity and weight distribution . I'm sure the strings ride somewhat different on the different style saddles too. To me once broke in good the edge pro is my pick. I don't use as much as Vai but I'm able to get great clear flutters and etc. and I like the titanium inserts on the contact point of the saddle. I think thst shows sparing less exspense and focusing on performance . I'd like to see it on all the models. I also love the edge zero it can be very responsive or easily set up to act more like a fixed bridge. With the supplied spring gizmo. The one place I see on all and all Floyd style trems for improvement is the spring claw. They are all like flimsy pot metal feeling, maybe they need to be thin to vibrate properly I'm not a scientist but I can't help but feel thst much improvement could be made to the claw both in materials and design. And for sure if I were designing I would use close tolerance threaded inserts in the body and bolts or fine threaded machine screws thru claw. I know the vibration transfer would be better, but mostly it would be so much more precision with adjusting spring tension. Nor would it be so easy to strip out the claw screws .as well as you could make the screws have Allen head screws same size as truss bolt. It's hard to get a Phillips driver in there on some guitars, without damaging the head of the screw.just look at how well designed all other hardware is on a high quality guitar then ya get down to the piece holding it all together and is just a stamped piece of thin cheap metal. Seems this piece should be hardened tool steel or titanium etc ? Just my way of thinking , good thing I don't design guitars I guess cuz I'd go broke before I'd sell one with any single flaw or compromise to life , tone or durabillity of the instrument . Hope some guy with a CNC see this and start manufacturing these for nut cases like me. I imagine titanium in thst size piece would be fairly exspensive but tool steel may do just as well. The shape and design may even have room for improvement . Well that's a lot of opinion !!! I apologize.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
My guitar does have an Edge Zero and it's still a great trem though.
I love the Edge Zero trem - I have the OE on 2 of my guitars and the EZ on one and they both have their strong points...and there are plenty of pros using the EZ...Balducci and the Broderick come to mind immediately
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I like the EZ2 almost as much as the OE.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 11

^Uh-Oh. Guess you're going to get banned soon for saying that!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
^Uh-Oh. Guess you're going to get banned soon for saying that!
Bwahahaaha! Add me to the ban list!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I like the EZ2 almost as much as the OE.
First time Ive heard that. Which guitar do you have with that trem? I have found to like the lo pro, edge pro, and the original edge equally. Each had a little bit different angle in regards to the body, but seemed to function equally. Reason I ask which guitar, is because I havent bought anything new in awhile with these trems.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookRS360 View Post
Can any of you give a good substitute for the RG1570 Edge Pro that I could drop in without routing the body? The original part is 2EL1J11K. The Edge III does not fit my model.
Wait... You wanna swap out your EP for an E3??? Bad idea dude (route differences not withstanding). The E3 is a very low end Edge a significant DOWNgrade from the EP. If you've already got an EP you can move "laterally" to an OE or an LP, but I dont know that you would like either that much more. Maybe the OE since its lighter, flutters a little better, etc. but it's totally subjective...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode