JEM 10th Case Mystery Solved! - Would you believe?? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

JEM 10th Case Mystery Solved! - Would you believe??

About a month ago I noticed something a little odd about a Jem10 case I had but couldn't put my finger on it, it's the case for #38. Then last week I recieved another 10th in trade (#263) and it instantly became clear. The case for #38 wasn't the traditional Jem case layout, keyed locks on each end and a latch in the center, no combination lock. #263 was 'normal' of course, combination lock in the center and latches on each end. Strange, then I realized the layout for #38 was exactly the same as a Chromeboy case! Nope, it's got black interior and the non-sewn-in shroud. I put them side by side to investigate further and bingo, the plaques are different. Not only different, check it out

The first is MISSPELLED!! The Anniversay case! LOL There are many other differences on the plaques as you can also see, the font styles, the heavier black, the additional scrolling, and 1 is set on with screws, the other rivets. WTF have we got here?!?! I dropped a line to Glen and Kev just to give them a laugh, at the time thinking it was a Chromeboy case with a fake plaque. Saturday I had called Kev about something completely different and we got to talking about the case. He said that his old case that he traded to Gabe had the same lock layout and also had the non-sewn-in shroud, but of course didn't have a misspelled plaque! (We all know Kev! LOL) So I dropped Gabe a note just to ask and he sent a link to Jemfest.com which has a pic of his case. Check the spelling!!

http://jemfest.com/Jem10/pages/case_02.htm

Hmmmmm LOL Conclusion? This was the original case for #52, mine is #38. Evidently the first batch of cases that came in were all like this. Either these just slipped out before someone noticed or they just HAD to ship 10ths to screaming dealers and let them go. Either way, they obviously redesigned the plaque to correct the mistake, but oddly enough the case also transforms into a Jem 'style' case also. I have no idea where the break point is # wise, but we know up to at least #52 we can expect a curiosity!!! :rotf:

*Case* closed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:00 PM

JEM 10th Case Mystery Solved!

Cool! *I never noticed that! *Thanks Rich! *Guess this case is now worth 500% more than what I thought!

Now the price of my Jem10th is well above Kevans - $12,000. *

Comes with 'even more limited edition mispelled case'.

Gabe
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

nice work Rich *Gotta love a spellchecker :biggrin:
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Glen, I figured you could find an appropriate page on Jemsite for this, I sure don't have a page where it would "fit", I know there's a few here it'll "fit" right in.

Gabe, so, my MINT case must be worth $10K?? :laugh:
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:12 PM
deleted username

This will drive Rich even MORE nuts, but...

How do we know, for sure, that the mis-plaque cases were ONLY the lower numbers? *Remember the J-Custom case fiasco? *:-) *Maybe only the cases that came from Chesbro (or Hoshino) came with the mis-spelled plaques? *
Hmmm...more pondering for Rich. *LOL

Thankfully, the cases aren't numbered to correspond the guitar series number! *
(Sorry Gabe! *I didn't know!!!!)
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Deduction dear Watson. Mine #38, yours #52, I'm sure a little more snooping will solidify the argument. As for the Chesbro/Hoshino thing, remember that these Limited cases go through Hoshino hands first before Hoshino ships them to Chesbro. At least that's how it worked with the Y2K's, but probably protocal that's been in place (but that's also just a guess. I know that Chesbro shipped out the early LNG's in regular cases when they tired of waiting for the 'special' cases)
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

There was no J Custom case "fiasco", Chesbro just didn't order J Custom cases for the ones they imported as Hoshino did.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

I'd love an official explaination on how many cases with TYPOS were made and distributed before catching the glitch.

The cases are unnumbered which makes pinpointing the cases to guitars very difficult and random. Yet it is obvious they missed the typo then corrected it somewhere, improving the case also.

Still this a black eye and an embarrasment when you look at it. It's actually laughable :rotf: ...glen
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

I didn't think it was too funny when I though I had a case with a fake plaque, now that I know the deal I'm :rotf: too!!

It's obvious that it was the first batch of cases since it was later corrected. But considering the early #'s were distributed worlwide and we're only interested in the Silver US case, it would be pretty tough to know exactly how many have this 'glitch'. I'm just floored that it took *5* years for somebody to notice!!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:46 PM
deleted username

Hmmm...my RG-ART came from the NAMM show. *I think those [the NAMM guitars] come from Hoshino, correct? *My ART came with a standard M100C case.

The "fiasco" I'm refering to is that the JEM90's left with J-Custom cases, but the J-Customs didn't. *Odd...no?

Oh, and can we refer to it as "Gabe's case"? *It's so much easier than saying "fifty-two" or "Kevan's old one that's now Gabe's new one that used to be his brother's uncle's roommate's best friends brothers boyfriends case"....don't ya think? *:-)
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Sorry, but didn't the Art come from a store in Phoenix? Which territory is that? Chesbro get's to claim NAMM models too.

They didn't import enough J Customs to make it worth ordering a special case!
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Rich already explained it.

Question - WHY does Chesbro exist again :lame: ...glen
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:55 PM
deleted username

Quote:
Quote: from Rich on 11:44 pm on Sep. 7, 2001
I'm just floored that it took *5* years for somebody to notice!!! *
I was too busy cleaning up the puddle of drool after seeing my JEM10 for the first time to notice the mis-spelling!

:biggrin:
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Face it Kev, you're just not the spelling guru you used to be. We'll all look at you in a different light from this point on!
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:00 AM
site founder 0% owner

You're losing your TYPO OGRE crown.

mis-spelling is not a word (no hyphen). check here http://www.webster.com/

Tags
chrome boy , hoshino usa , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode